Lesley

Injuries

Lauren has seen a Chiropractor occasionally Buffie - and we do have a Bowen technique practitioner in the town - but it becomes rather expensive when more than one appt. is involved :?

If it was a case of say three appts. then it would be OK - but these things tend to be ongoing don't they? - Jake has to have regular visits to the Chiropractor for his hearing problems and the costs mount up. It's a difficult balancing act and I know thay are looking at it. We'd help out with costs if we sold our house :? - a bridging loan for over a year is not much fun now :(

Just caught up with this Lesley.

Poor Lauren & poor you too- it must be a worry.

We had similar problems with Cleo when she was a toddler.Her elbows kept dislocating - strangely it happened at Centerparcs twice.

They went so regularly that we were asked some pretty serious questions about her welfare as they were concerned it was an abuse issue.

I think we had dislocations about 8 times,but can't be sure as it was a long time ago now.

What made it worse was was she was walking but still unsteady on her feet.You would walk along holding her little hand,she would stumble & of course the elbow would pull out :roll::roll::roll:

Back to the Doctors again.............. :roll::roll::roll:

There was a time when her arm seemed to be forever in a sling.

As she grew it became less & less frequent, & now it all seems like a distant memory.

I do hope that things work out.

The school sound most unhelpful, which is not what you need at the moment.

Thanks Sarah.

I was hoping it might be a common thing, but it appears not :? My daughter is lucky in that most of Lauren's mishaps have happened at school otherwise we'd be expecting Social Services on the doorstep :?

We are hoping it may be hormonal - she is a well built 9 year old and developping fast.

My SIL has been working away and unable to be around much for the last few days. He's able to work from home today so I think they will be having words at the school.

They tried to say yesterday that Lauren couldn't attend school because she was on crutches :evil: - it is only a couple of months since another girl in her class broke her leg and was on crutches for some time :roll:

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Laurens' school seems to be paranoid about being sued - but if they don't give Lauren the support she needs I am sure there will be a case against them anyway!

Hope they will be more understanding when Lauren goes back again.

Picking up on the hormonal/age thing, I remember watching a programme a couple of years ago about teenagers and clumsiness. It said that the bones grow first but the muscles take much longer to catch up. So it might be possible the muscles around Lauren's joints are not big enough or strong enough to hold the joint in the right position when something happens.

It would be such good news if it were a temporary situation!

I would be very careful of Lauren at school. It sounds terrible. I wonder what their Disablement policy is - I'm sure all schools have to set out how they would provide for disabilities. These policies should apply to temporary situations too.

My DD3 was on crutches for weeks in year 5 (after spraining all the ligaments around her knee). At school, she wasn't allowed outside, for her protection we were told, and she wasn't allowed to have any friends inside with her. The result was that eventually her best friend became friendly with someone else who didn't want DD3 around. :evil::evil: I then had a daughter fed up with crutches and pain and heart-broken because she had lost her friends. Her teacher did not understand and the school was generally unhelpful. Since the situation must happen regularly, I don't understand why schools don't know the social problems which occur and plan to avoid them.

Another thing about crutches is that other people seem to think they know better than the doctors and physiotherapists. I was shocked by the teachers and school staff who told DD3 that she didn't need them, that they'd seen her standing and walking without them etc. She was supposed to do this, as advised by a paediatric physiotherapist, who also advised using the crutches in school even when she no longer needed them at home because of the number of people who get damaged again from being knocked and pushed in the corridors. :evil:

How is Lauren feeling? is she still in pain?

Hi Ginette

Lauren is still uncomfortable - goodness knows what she hit when she fell last week - she hurts all over.

Lauren is allowed a couple of friends when she stays in which is something - and she had to be shadowed by a girl 2 years older (sorry, I can't remember all these years numbers :roll: ) - they chose a girl that Lauren used to live next door to and has always liked.

Appt. with consultant tomorrow at 9.30 - fingers crossed.

I'm really pleased to hear the school is catering for Lauren's social life at least. :D:D

But poor girl, it's horrible to think of her aching all over like that. And she's such a cheery girl. :)

I hope the appointment is really good tomorrow and you don't have to fight at all!

Thank you :)

Battling through the rush hour and then trying to find a space at Warwick Hosp. is not my idea of fun - so they'd better have something to say! :roll:

It will be all I can do to refrain from taking him gently by the neck and telling him that I still can't kneel down, crouch, use stairs or slopes or walk on rough ground :lol:

I never thought of that Emma! :lol:

The day went well - the consultant does appear to be taking it seriously and treating Lauren as a whole rather than just her knee. Her blood tests show that she is extremely healthy.

She now has her knee in a full leg plaster :roll: This should allow the soft tissues to settle and allow her to put some weight through it which means she won't have to lean so heavily on the crutches. When she was using the crutches, her elbows were bending the wrong way :?

We didn't bother to ask if she could go back to swimming :roll::roll:

We are now hoping that it is 'just' hypermobility :? - Jake's chiropractor showed his Mum that his shoulders are way too mobile :roll:

:?:?

You have me worried now Lesley - Caitlin was seen by a physiotherapist at the Sick Kids hospital in Edinburgh, after we realised that she continuously tripped over her feet, and did severe damage to her front teeth. She diagnosed 'hypermobility' and recommended a career as a gymnast or ballet dancer, as her range of movement in her limbs was more than she had seen before. She's bendier than a pipe cleaner. :?

I do hope this doesn't mean she's in for the nightmare that poor Lauren has had.

Lauren's Mum's half sister (keep up! :roll: ) - was a gymnast. She had hypermobility and had to have ops. on her ankles. She gave up gymnastics - but realised too late that it had actually been helping by strengthening her ligaments/muscles. We are hopeful that Lauren can get back to swimming - even if not at the level she was aiming for previously.

That all seems good news Lesley. :D

What happens now and next? How long is the plaster on for? Is she going to school? :roll: Do you have another appointment?

At least with Jake you would be forewarned and armed, so to speak.

I'm sure the leg plaster must be a good idea, to let everything settle down, even though it will be a bit awkward for poor Lauren.

And it is a definite outward sign that there is summat up, so the unsympathetic school staff will have to take note.

I do hope you get some useful answers soon. If you know what you are dealing with you can take appropriate action.

What is your special tool Lesley......am I going to wish I hadn't asked?? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: - no, you're fine Egluntine :D

There was mention 2 weeks ago that Emma's OH had comitted the sin of eating her G&B's chocolate! He was found guilty on this forum and so Emma asked me to take my special tool along to the Farmers' Market get-together. He had to guess what it was first :D

It is the Elastrators (I think that is the correct term) - used for castrating little lambs :shock::lol: , or for putting the rings on their tails.

Best wishes to Lauren Lesley

I hope she now gets the treatment she deserves and needs and can get back to doing all the things she loves

Lesley, I took the liberty of talking to my osteopath about Lauren (I hope you don't mind). He says that he is seeing a lot of this recently, where, due to good nutrition, children are growing faster than ever, and that this is putting stress on a body that is already under hormonal stress. It takes time for the body to catch up and in the meantime, this sort of damage can occur. He recommends gentle exercise (like swimming) and supplements of Vitamin C, Glucosamine and chondroitin. He also mentioned that something called Marfans syndrome includes hypermobility and that any treatment recommended fro that will also help her. Above all, rest is essential to give her body time to recover and the energy it needs to grow, so not too much exercise.

Hector is very respected in the osteopathic world and lectures all over the place, he is sometimes unconventional with his new treatments, but they always seem to work. He has written loads of papers and is often quoted inthe press.

I hope that this helps.

that's really interesting. I was a tall child when I had problems (although I'm a short adult now, having not grown upwards since I was ten), including the constant elbow dislocation.

A couple of my friends have Marfan, and they have a very distinctive look to them, which Lauren doesn't, but I assume that the osteopath meant the same treatments might help Lauren.

Thats really interesting Clare.

Cleo is a tall girl too - she looks like a newborn foal at the moment....alll long gangly limbs :roll:

She is 5'5 now, & is a 7 shoe, & she is only 12 :?

She gets a few back problems, & also had a big problem with a long term virus last year.

I wonder if there is a connection - maybe her body can't keep up with how quickly it is gorwing so her immune system suffers? :?

I am glad they are taking Laurens problems seriously,but hope she is out of that plaster soon!

Thank you for your replies.

Clare - Jakes/Lauren's Chiroprator said pretty much the same, that's why we were going to ask about swimming - not much point while the plaster is on :lol: We are sorting out the supplements - I took them when i damaged the ligaments and tore the tendon in my knee - it is possible to find Vegetarian Glucosamine now.

My nephew has Marfans - and Lauren doesn't have the other symptoms.

The Paediatric appt. came through this morning - for September, 12 weeks! :shock: - we thought that was pretty poor but a friend who works at the hospital says anything less tha 17 weeks is good going :shock: The Orthpaedic Consultant has said that her will refer Lauren to them anyway, once the knee problem has settled - perhaps he will be able to get her seen earlier.

In the meantime...........how to make use of the dog :lol:

2007_0614LaurensKnee0017.jpg

Jazz stayed like this for ages, while Lauren ate her tea :)