ChrisP

Anyone got an iPhone?

It's definately time I got a new phone, my 5 year old one is definately giving up, fast! I've found contracts which are fairly cheap for iPhones, but I've never used one before, and was wondering if anyone had any reviews on them? Any pro's or con's appreciated :)

The iPhone 5 is coming out soon-ish so I'd hang on and buy that if you are buying brand new. Everything just works so well on them and it will do pretty much anything you want to do. So easy to text and you can read through old texts while writing the new one and it has an auto-correct function if you press the wrong letter which makes texting so much quicker! There really is an app for everything, although you can end up spending a lot of money in the app store, but there are loads of free apps. Everything is so simple to do on the phone and it looks good too 8) Battery life is pretty rubbish, as is iTunes, but hopefully with the 5 they will improve battery life & the camera. And they're expensive in England.

I've got the 3GS and so has hubby. We both love it. I think the camera is great, have loads of camera apps to play around with too. Hubby who is a bit of a photographer has taken some amazing shots with his.

Battery life isn't brilliant, but then it all depends how much you use it. When we were camping & had no signal, I was going a few days in between charges. Normally I charge it overnight & it lasts the day. Some games really zapp your battery.

I love having most of music on it too. Hubby sold his iPod and only uses his phone now.

I don't know anything about the iPhone 5 and what's going to be different. Maybe get at least an iPhone 4 as at some point the apps won't work on the 3G and 3GS. Hubby would be best to give an opinion (he's a big Apple fan) but he's in work.

Love mine to bits, I resisted for ages but then succumbed. It does need charging frequently (but then I use it a lot). There are some fairly pointless apps, but being able to look up train/tube times, find locations on a map, find the nearest ATM or pharmacy (AroundMe app) and read emails are just a few of the benefits - I wouldn't be without it. I love the way that if, for example, you look up a contact, you can click on the postcode and go straight to a map.

The one thing it is not great as, is a phone! But I mostly use email and text messages - if you make a lot of calls, it's not as comfortable to use in my opinion as a more traditional phone. The signal isn't always great either, depends on your network. And of course, if your eyesight is good enough, you can even surf the forum on it! :lol:

I've had a 3GS for about 18 months. I'd say it's probably the world's best handheld computer,but as a phone, its signal isn't great.

I leave 3G turned off permanently as it's a big drain on battery life and the iphone is a bit poor at recognising when 3G signal is weak - most phones drop to 2G automatically on demand, the iphone isn't so great at that. That said, I don't really rate UK 3G signal coverage... If I need fast internet, many public places have free public wifi.

I do wish I could tell my wifi to exclude BT Openzone though...

An iphone is staggeringly easy to use, and is all about the user experience.

Probably my favourite feature is that on IOS4 onwards, photos can be geotagged (ie you can have your GPS location encoded into the image) and then view your pictures on a map by the location they were taken at. This is quite handy if you're in an unfamiliar area- you can navigate home on a map by where you've taken photos!

I got the 3gs as I didn't like the square feel to the iphone 4. It also works on tescos £10 a month rolling contract with free internet, 500 mins and free texts ;) even though the shop told me it didn't :roll: just as well Spacechick had already given me the heads up! :lol:

I only have an ancient Nokia, but we have Blackberrys and iphones at work. We used to have just Blackberrys but while some found them great for calls and emails, others complained about the quality of web access/viewing on them. Some of our staff now have iphones and loves the web experience and emails but complain about the phone signals... I guess that you just can't win and get everything.

I love my 3GS: its fantastic. However when I dropped it last night the screen broke, and the insurance that came in with my business account from Orange doesn't seem to cover breakages (although I'm sure I was told it did when I signed up).

Two pieces of advice to a new iPhone user: do fit a plastic screen cover. It means I can still use my phone (temporarily) even though the screens broken. Very important as I have lots of stuff stored on there and even though I sync regularly that doesn't back up the content of some apps: now I have a last chance to do it. Secondly do read the small print if you get the insurance: I was conned.

And if you've got a contract and fancy an upgrade, then I gather that (with Orange) you can get a free upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract :-) Hence I need my broken screen to keep going for 2 more weeks and then I get a FREE iPhone 4! ;-)

PS they wouldn't have told me this - I only found out because I asked!