hammy72

Cats now coming in to the garden

Does having chickens attract cats to your garden? In the past few days when I've been working at home and sat in the garden we have had 2 separate cat visitors. Tikka has alerted me with a cluck and before the dogs have noticed them. Could a cat do the chickens any harm or are they just being inquisitive of the new smell? btw. I know that one of the cats visits next doors rabbits so perhaps it is just being friendly, it looks quite young.

I was really quite nervous letting the banties and hen FR with my cat as he is a hunter. I kept them in the run for a week or two for them to see each other safely. When i let them out i put the cat on a lead for a couple of supervised meets. They seemed fine together, and touch wood have been ok since (1 yr now). As for other cats with them, non would dare come in our garden, but i have read of cats being atacked by full grown hens.

We did have a cat that used to come and have a nosey around. The girls always sensed/heard/saw it well before I did and in fact if I am out in the garden I can judge now by their behaviour that the cat must be near. Within 30 seconds the cat will appear :!: Cat doesn't come so often now since my OH started squirting it with the garden hose whenever he saw it :!: However, I suspect this cat did do away with the mouse that used to live in the compost bin as I haven't seen it for ages now.

Anyway, I've just got myself a kitten who I am going to train up to be "protector of the chickens" and "killer of mice" :!: He's not big enough to go out yet and he hasn't met the girls yet, but I plan to introduce them as soon as he's allowed out so he can get used to them. Hopefully he will keep unwanted cat visitors away too.

A couple of kittens belonging to our neighbour were really intrigued by the chooks. But were also scared stiff of them! The kittens would sit on the fence, and watch the chooks, too scared to climb down into the garden despite their curiosity. The chooks weren't bothered in the slightest! After a while the kittens were bored (took them several weeks mind!!) and I don't see them much anymore.

I have 3 cats and had them before chickens, the chickens rule the garden. Occasionally the youngest cat will get really adventurous and try and saunter past the girls but they give him the beady eye and he runs :lol::lol::lol: We did have a bit of interest in the first couple of weeks from the other neighbourhood cats but they left them alone pretty quick and never come into our garden now. The only thing my girls don't like is the squirrel running along the back fence :roll:

However, I suspect this cat did do away with the mouse that used to live in the compost bin as I haven't seen it for ages now.

Mightnt have been the cat, my girls 'disposed' of a chicken that made its way into their WIR :vom:

I REALLY hope you meant Mouse and not chicken that was disposed of....!!!

My 2 cats are quite large (part Norwegian Forest cat) but are both kept well in check by my girls! :lol: I was very careful when the babies were young as that would be a complete different thing..... :shock: but now even my Lemon Pyle Brahma bantam is enough to make them get up from their comfy spot & move on if approached :lol:

When my Ex-Batts were still alive they positively used to pursue the cats & peck beak fulls of hair out given half a chance :roll:

I have seen TC bring home a fairly large Pheasant hen in his younger days - but I never knew if he did the 'deed' or just found it somewhere. :vom:

We have two cats and six chickens. One of the cats is Dandy "the ripper", he's only three but his kill count is absolutely off the scale. I've had cats all my life and have never known a cat to kill like him - his claws and teeth are like razors - however, in the house he is a big soft dollop. He has never shown the slightest interest in the chickens even though he's happy to have a go at the ducks which come into the garden. I think the noise and kerfuffle are probably what deters him - that and there being six of them and only one of him.

We have 3 cats and they are scared of the chickens - although one, Willow, is friendly and always wants to make friends. A couple of times, we've been working in the run and suddenly Willow has appeared out of the Cube - I guess she just likes having a sniff around.

If the cats are flopped in the garden, they are fine but will move if the chickens get to within about a yard. i swear the chickens approach them deliberately just for the nuisance value! :lol:

I've seen a neighbour's cat in the garden checking out the chickens but so far I'm not worried about cats especially as we have lots of neighborhood foxes and even a buzzard attacked last week. Luckily everyone escaped unharmed!

Hazel