Alis girls

Pumpkin failure

Mine's not big, there's a pic on my blog.

Silly question, do I wait until it is completely orange before picking it?

if possible yes that way the seeds stand a better chance of growing next year when you cut it cut the stem as close to the leaf as you can the put it somewere dry to finnish ripening for a week or so

Its def not a good year for pumpkin/squashes. I normally grow Crown Prince which is a good allrounder. Great for roasting and soups. Usually by now they are of a good size and quantity but not this year :cry:

For a bit of fun I have tried to grow some giant pumpkins for the first time. The results are a 50 and 52 pound pumpkin. :dance:

as promised photo's of my pumpkin,squashies and courgettes at yesturdays Apple day at Hanbury Hall all mine were grown without added water if it did rain they didn't get watered

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

a few that were grown by plot holders on the alottments

DSC00681.jpg

pumpkins and marrows at the Sandwell Show

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

I'd be happy with just one of those! They're amazing, a lovely display :D

I've got two pumpkin plants. One got a bit chewed by a broody hen & her chicks but the other one is attempting to reach the other end of the garden. It must be around 15ft by now at least. It's still flowering, it's got lots of little pumpkins growing on it, but should I try to curtail it's spread down the garden in the hope it puts more effort into growing the pumpkins on it already or should I just leave it to do whatever it likes?

015-1.jpg

Harvested my crop this morning. The Crown Prince (bluey coloured ones) are much smaller and fewer than usual :( . Heard a spokeperson for the RHS on radio 4 this morning saying that due to weather conditions decent size pumpkins for Halloween are going to be in short supply. So you have been warned. Up the security on your pumpkin patch :lol:

you've got a very good crop there. crown prince still look a good size through

it wasn't the cold that did for pumpkins and squashes around my way it was the long dry hot windy year we had in this area. my plot as been and still is bone dry as quick as the water goes in the wind removes it

I'm lucky. The owner of the field adjacent to my house (in exchange for a few pumkins) allows me to grow them on the manure heap :dance: I only water them until they are established and then they have to fend for themselves. As I can't be bothered to climb over a five bar gate with a full watering can.

This year I did give them a weekly feed as I was trying to grow a big un but normally I dont.