kirsty226

wait til spring?

Hi, I'm planning on getting my first 2 chickens very soon but am a little nervous about news of yet another harsh winter on its way. Does anyone think I should wait until spring to get them or should I get them now? My thoughts are that I'd be able to handle them and spend more quality time with them in better weather so I'd be more confident coping with them next winter. But then again, I do want them now!!!

Any advice?

Do you know what sort of chickens you want?

If you are after pure breeds then autumn in the best time to buy as there will be quite a few about

There are far less pure breeds available in spring as it costs more money to raise chooks over the winter and a lot of breeders would have hatched in the spring and sold in the autumn

I second Redwing's view. The autumn seems full of lovely pure breeds as people look to move on those very pretty girls who perhaps have not been quite the success on the show bench that their breeders / owners had hoped, but who are still young and beautiful.

You can also get to know your chooks really well during the winter as you mix up and feed them their hot porridge in the morning (and winter mornings don't start as early as summer ones :wink: ). Also, if you have any with pom pom hair dos, you'll be spending plenty of time with them on your lap as you dry their hair so they don't go to bed with cold heads.

On the other hand there are certainly some breeds that do better in the cold than others, but Redwing might know more about these than I do. I suspect that a good breed for the cold is a Scotts Dumpy and a poor one for the cold is a Poland despite the fact that I've only just gone and got one. :anxious:

Do you have to go out to work? I'm lucky in that I work from home, but I remember how it used to be when I had to leave the house in the dark and would get back in the dark and only see my garden at weekends. If this is you then possibly you would find you are not spending enough time with your chooks to really get to know and tame them over the winter months. However if you will be around and about home a lot this winter then why not go for it?

I had my first ones in November and really enjoyed them. I work full time but it got me home on time, no more working late after September for me, but it's hard when you go in dark and come back in dark. Girls got fed up with me and the torch :lol:

but there's always the weekends or days off.

Hate to put a spanner in the works....But.

I got my last 3 girls in November as I couldnt wait, well morehens took hold really, and as I work full time, leaving the house at 6.30 and not getting home until 6.30 never got to see them, they are not friendly and very skittish, hate to be picked up and still run away when i am around not like my origianls that leap into my arms. I have decided to give the 3 to a friends friend who wants Chickens for eggs and not for pets, will wait until Spring and get some little uns that I can spend time with.

Hope this view point may help, but must be so hard to wait if its the first time for you.

Whatever you do enjoy, its great.

You'll be fine to get them now. I got my 4 ex batts in October two years ago and they coped just fine, so if you're getting POL they'll manage even better in the colder weather.

What chooks really hate is the wind and rain (although there are plenty enough chooks who seem to quite happily stand around in the rain :roll: ) so the main thing is to be able to offer them some shelter where they can get out of the elements if they want to. A tarp/shower curtain over the run will do the job just fine.

Also think about how and where you are going to site your run for the winter, as the ground can get quite churned up, both by the chooks digging around and by your feet going backwards and forwards to the run. Planning ahead for this sort of thing can help prevent you getting upset when your garden turns into a mud bath over the winter months! (Not being negative... just something practical I wish I had thought through better before getting my chooks).

Happy chicken shopping!!!

Hate to put a spanner in the works....But.

I got my last 3 girls in November as I couldnt wait, well morehens took hold really, and as I work full time, leaving the house at 6.30 and not getting home until 6.30 never got to see them, they are not friendly and very skittish, hate to be picked up and still run away when i am around not like my origianls that leap into my arms. I have decided to give the 3 to a friends friend who wants Chickens for eggs and not for pets, will wait until Spring and get some little uns that I can spend time with.

Hope this view point may help, but must be so hard to wait if its the first time for you.

Whatever you do enjoy, its great.

Margaret - I think for a full time away worker you are quite right. Late arrivals just don't become so tame.

BUT

Kirsty - given your home set up I'd go for it :dance: Let us know who you get :D

My chickens and Go were a Christmas present, hubby ordered them for me but we delayed delivery until the end of March.

I work all day and leave before it gets light and return after dark, even now with the nights drawing in I only get about an hour to spend time with them.

My decision was based on me wanting to get to know them and spend some time with them. They really won't mind if you are there or not, as long as they are cleaned out, fed and watered.

Their tameness will depend a lot on their personality too. My Bluebell was very tame, when she first came she was badly picked on by the others and would be glad to sit on my knee for hours. She even used to purr when stroked. Now she is a bossy mare and doesn't like being handled at all.

My Pepperpot hated being stroked and touched, but after being broody in the summer and having me walk her around the garden for hours she always crouches for a stroke when I get home from work.

My Gingernut is lovely, but she does what she wants, usually she will crouch for a stroke, but sometimes she won't, but she is always the one who comes to see what you are doing in the garden and helps you with the weeding.

For your first chickens I think you will enjoy them so much more if you wait, they won't be so much of a chore if the weather is warmer - it isn't fun hosing them down when its cold and wet, and they are so entertaining, they are better than TV as my dad says, and you can take some time with them to help them settle in. But if you have some time off owing to you, (I took a few days off when ours came) then maybe it would suit you better. Once you have had your first chickens then I would add more as you find them!

Thanks for all the debate - there's obviously no straight forward answer (as if there ever is)!! I'm going to go for it and we'll make a family effort to spend maximum time with them as much as poss before the bad weather. My two little girls aged 4 and 7 years will be an active part of the caring for them, so the chooks will be lucky to get any peace to be honest! :lol:

:dance: We took the plunge, and got Penny (hybrid) and Rosie (white leghorn) on Friday after school. While I got the box from the car, the girls chose the hens - hence why we have the leghorn (try telling a smitten 4year old their chosen hen may be a skittish variety..!). Anyway, we've spent the weekend with them and they're both eating out of my hand already! And trying to eat my engagement ring :eh: They're great, and with only one more day to work this week I think the bonding will be fine. Rosie is a bit more timid than Penny though she's only a couple of steps behind her, and the tasty morsels in my hand tend to have already gone by the time she's ready to peck. But she'll learn I'm sure! I'm so glad we've had some decent weather to get those first tentative steps out the way.

We'll be introducing them to the garden by the weekend so am looking forward to that. And I'll post a piccy when I can work out how!