The Mcconnochies

We have just ordered our first ever chickens...

Welcome ,You will not regret it .I have had my girls for 6 months 2 Gingernut rangers and 1 pepperpot.

They have changed mine and my OH's life. They are just wonderful time wasters ,I could watch them for ages.:lol:

You will find all the help you need on here with some great people with great advice..Good luck and photos please.

We have now had chickens for 18 months and we all just love them. What we didn't bargain for when we got them was we were going to get 4 individual personalities....thought we were just getting 4 chickens. We added to our flock in the Summer and now have 6 chickens. Might get another 2 in the Spring, depending on egg production...want to get one of the type that lay blue/green eggs. Have fun.....it is so exciting! (cube purple)GNRGNRPPPPGNR(Bluebelle)

Welcome to the wonderful world of poultry keeping!

I started 18 months ago with 3 happy hybrids in a !gored!

By Christmas I was scouring that auction site for a (cube blue)

By Easter I had acquired 2 Belgian bantams, by May day, 2 Pekins & in June the wonderful SpaceChick gave me 2 frizzles....

There was then a slight lull - til today, when my first 3 ex-batts arrived.

All so different, all delightful - wonderful stress busters who have transformed my garden and give me something to giggle about almost every day of the year.

Beware! Chickens are addictive :)

As everyone else has said they will transform your lives - they are all totally different in their personalities and do such funny little things. They are always curious and love to follow you in the garden and show no fear at all as far as i can see, They also learn quicklly and know exactly where and when 'treats' are likely to be served up. Working out what they like is part of the fun - our current three girls fight over a banana particulalry! Have fun! And when there are little problems or worries (and there will be!) this forum is a fantastic source of quick, sensible and supportive advice. We have horse too and i used to visit a horsey forum but the nasty comments and 'one-up-manship' put me off. I don't think I've EVER seen any nastiness on here as even if people don't agree they present their views in a non-confrontational way.

We have just ordered our first ever chicken coop and 4 chickens (2 gingernuts and 2 miss pepperpots).

Looking forward to the whole thing :)

Very eggcited for you - I remember my first.

Just one little thing, you may not get eggs for a number of weeks yet. Firstly, because they can take a couple of weeks to settle in their new home and secondly because of the time of year. But, I see that as your advantage, because you get time to give them cuddles and for them to get to know you really well :)

Congrats on your baby girl too! Seven months old is a lovely, cuddly age. It's great that you would like her to experience the nature of life.

Well, we start on Tuesday next week with the arrival of our 4 girls...we have three names already and are ging to name the fourth whwen it gets here.

We purchased the ch103 a coop and run at a decent price from:

http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch103.htm

Now all we have to organise is feeds etc...any hints on what is a must have item?

Thanks for all the eggcouragement :)

Andrew, Claire & Nessa.

Choose and then set aside solely for chook use a distinctive bowl or tin or something that you will keep or serve them treats in so they come to recognise it. Chickens are supposed to like red especially. Ours recognise the shake of the tin that contains their dried corn, which is a good treat, plus they have a cereal bowl from M&S that has a chicken design all round it that they recognise as their 'porridge' bowl for afternoon tea. Once they recognise their treat dish you'll only have to hold it out to get them running to you and it's easier/safer for your little one when she's bigger than putting things in her hand to offer them!

I still remember how excited I was when they arrived. I started 2 years ago with 3, then got 3 bantams (total 6), then another 2 (8), then one left as she started to crow (back to 7) and now another 2 bantams (9). Morehens disease ;)

You will love them. They are such incredible characters, and I still have my original 3 (although one has retired from egg-laying).

we got 3 in march and definately only going to have 4 max, we now have 8 - its gets kind of addictive, you go to get one more and come back with two, then last week went to get 2 and came back with 3 more - they are so much fun - enjoy!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

I remember that! I was going to get 4 i think, then it went to 8, then 3 more.... had to buy classic to fit those in :oops:

Be warned it all gets a bit addictive :twisted:

Ahem.... Welcome BTW :D

Well, we start on Tuesday next week with the arrival of our 4 girls...we have three names already and are ging to name the fourth whwen it gets here.

We purchased the ch103 a coop and run at a decent price from:

http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch103.htm

Now all we have to organise is feeds etc...any hints on what is a must have item?

Thanks for all the eggcouragement :)

Andrew, Claire & Nessa.

You've been given some great advice on treats, but, they should be given in small number.

The main diet of my chickens is Layers Pellets; it contains all the necessary nutrients. Some people use Chicken mash, but that is very powdery and can be messy.

Through the summer, I had a raised bed in which I grew mixed salad leaves, these I would hang up in bunches throughout the Autumn so the girls had fresh greens for those days they couldn't free range. Used the last of that last week.

When it comes to treats, yes, mealworms are their heroine! Other treats they can be quite fussy over: for example some of mine go into a frenzy for tomatoes, others for apples and still others for boiled eggs mashed with egg shells. So, be prepared that some things can be snubbed by some chickens and its all part of the learning curve ;)

Good luck Tuesday!