meezers

Confused cockerel?

Think my silkie cockerel has lost the plot! For the last two months since the mornings have been dark, I've left the pop hole on his coop open so he can get up when he wants - usually around 8am and that is when he starts crowing.When I go out at 8.15am half the hens are still in bed - it's so dark .

On New Years Eve he crowed at 7.15am, I thought something must have woken/alarmed him. Yesterday I was awake when he first crowed- I didn't hear anything to disturb him - I looked at the clock - 6.45am !! he rarely crows that early , even in the summer :? . Last night I decided to close the pop hole to muffle his crows should he start early again - good thing I did, 6.15am he started this morning! It's pitch black outside, it's quiet and his hens are all in bed for goodness sake ! :roll: As I said, in the summer I keep the coop closed until 8am, but he rarely crows before 7am, what's got into him ?

All I can think of is that two of my hens have come back into lay in the last few days - does he think this means it's spring ? :o:lol: surely they also go by amount of day light/ length of days ? Anyone else with a cockerel who's lost the plot ? :lol: