Space Chick

British farms ignore battery ban too

The farmer down the road from us has spent mega bucks and demolished and rebuilt an amazing new hen house, all singing all dancing , with more space than legally stated for his hens. He will not get any of this £ back, and whilst I think it's totally right that these laws should be in place, the GVT, and the supermarkets should adhere to the new laws too, and stop any imports.

In a way I don't blame the British farms. The Government need to step up and ban the importing

As part of the EU, it isn't simply a matter for our Government.

The cost incurred to poultry farmers has been great; from my reading this affects 1% of British poulty farms and they will be given until February to comply.

On a positive note, it seems it is known who they are - this means they can be held accountable.

It is the unknown sources which worry me far more.

If more people kept hens in their back garden, the demand for store bought will decline. As times get harder financially, maybe it's time for more promotion of the humble back garden hen?