Mum

Yes, yes, yes, yes; YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

It finally happened; after forever my cream legbar produced her first ever !egggreen! today!!!! :dance::dance::dance::clap::clap::clap:

She's 38 weeks old and I was beginning to think it was never, ever going to happen. Clever, clever girl she is :mrgreen:

Now, if my other 10 would follow her lead, I can start to think about keeping them all ;):shh::lol:

ANH - never, ever seen one before in my life, so yes, that makes it special. Plus, this is her first egg, so that's double special. Plus, it's the first egg of the season (triple special?), plus, first egg since October from that particular flock (quadruple special?) :lol:

I know, I'm pathetic; but boy am I on a high :lol:

Hi I've just joined the forum

the latest of my four chickens has just started laying at about 35 weeks old and she lays eggs with a green tint to them. She's layed about 6 now and already they are bigger than the eggs I get from my hybrid who must be coming up to a year old but not quite as large as the one's I get from my light Sussex and my Maran. All four are well established back in lay now. We only started keeping chickens in June 2011 so this was our first winter

Luckily they all lay a different shape/colour so I can always tell them apart and keep a daily tally - how sad is that.

Roxy my last chicken to join the flock - we were told has a Cream Legbar father and a blue egg laying mother so we were expecting blue eggs - but at present they look more a light browny green colour and have really orangey yolks

Thats not sad - when you have lived thro an egg famine becoming anal and OCD about eggs is perfectly normal. After nearly 2yrs in April I am still like a big kid and hate anyone else getting the girls eggs. I would be in seventh heaven on a farm - give me a basket and wave me off in the direction of the hen house and you'd have one happy big kid of 49 and 3 quarters !! The sight of a full egg box gets me all of a tizz - now thats sad :whistle:

Thats not sad - when you have lived thro an egg famine becoming anal and OCD about eggs is perfectly normal. After nearly 2yrs in April I am still like a big kid and hate anyone else getting the girls eggs. I would be in seventh heaven on a farm - give me a basket and wave me off in the direction of the hen house and you'd have one happy big kid of 49 and 3 quarters !! The sight of a full egg box gets me all of a tizz - now thats sad :whistle:

:think: "egg famine-anal-OCD" Yup! That about sums it up to a T!!! :lol::lol:

I also think I should have lived on a farm - I'm now contemplating bees (would love to have a pig and some goats!) and even, (don't hate me!) rabbits :oops:

I did work on a farm many moons ago: strawberry/potato picking/hop season and turkey/goose season. I didn't "enjoy" the harsher side, but I took it all in my stride at that time and I felt really at one with nature. Even though I didn't "enjoy" the harsher aspects, it was also very grounding and humbling and made me appreciate so much of life.

My girl gave me her 2nd offering today (clever lass!!!!) and I can't believe how childishly thrilled I am at nature :lol: On that same note, I noticed a twiggy-thingy-wotsit which has sprouted itself in the rear end of my garden. On closer inspection it is an ince or three away from an old tree stump: now, I have a feeling it may well be from an old apple root - just how thrilled do I feel about that!!? :shh:

So, I think I'm saying - eggs, buds, nature, the circle of life, the whole thing makes me smile and humbles me.

i also worked on a farm as a teenager and its hard bloomin work but boy was I fit - slim and tanned. I really will have to stop gazing at my eggs and use some. ES said "yay mum eggs - cake make cake" why do all teenage boys say "YAY" :think:

Its when my teen boys tell my their dinner is "sick" that I worry :anxious: but, seems sick is ok to teens :lol: