craftyhunnypie

Systems go?

Congrats on your egg process/hatchlings ladies; bravo! :clap:

Oh wow...can't wait to see piccies! I'm planning on hatching some eggs under one of my pekins after easter, assuming that they play ball and go broody for me!
:lol: Oh your pekins will most definately go broody! and maybe before Easter too :wink: They make great Mum's! Do you have a ready to hand supplier of fertilized eggs? Once they go broody, time is of the essence, in my (limited) experience. Also, do bear in mind, each egg has a 50:50 chance of being male. Last Spring I hatched 6 eggs under a broody (Silkie). Fifty/fifty meant I should have had 3 hens. Of those 6: 1 did not hatch; of the 5 which hatched, only one was female :roll: That female is still alive and kicking and totally adorable :wink:

I am extremely fortunate that the farm I get my eggs/chooks from will take any returnees (e.g. cockerels ;) ) however, if you do not have that option, you need to think carefully what you will do if 80% of your eggs are male (as was my case ;) )