craftyhunnypie

How do you get round your other half?

This is a tough one! I seem to have the hardest hubby to get round. We have a cat & chickens which he loves. But can I hell get him to have a dog & I seem to be trying my best to get him to have any more livestock! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

His answer is ' housing is a problem'. But it's not really! So how do you get round your hubby? I'm fed up of feeling lonely & looking at pretty but empty fields!!! :wall: Frightened to open my mouth about animals! :roll: And a dog just gets him in a right stinking mood!

Emma.x

I do sympathise. I have a similar problem with my OH. We have a lovely springer who is 5 and I would love to add another dog to our family. He says absolutely not and I can understand why but it doesn't stop me wanting another one.

Do you know anyone who has a dog you could look after for a few days whilst they are away? That might help you both make up your minds as to whether or not a dog would fit in. Failing that, you could always do a dog walking service. That way you get to enjoy the fields with a 4-legged companion or two without upsetting your OH :D

Like mum I had better not print it on the forum. :wink::lol: I have just got ducks that belonged to DD.She moved house and her new garden was to small to accomodate them. Sitting in bed the following morning he said "That is it no more arrivals such as goats or sheep" I said don't be silly I don't want a goat or sheep then kept quiet. My freind visited later in the day with a drake to keep the new ducks happy. :lol::lol: He just raised his eyes. :lol:

Tell him you are going to get a nice big herd of cows... And when he objects say you'll settle for a dog.

:lol::lol::lol: Love it!!! My way is not repeatable in polite company, but I think you can guess! :wink::wink: Otherwise then the above might be a good way to go or a visit to a local animal shelter maybe???

Funny enough, my sister has 2 highland cows which I am very envious of. They are creamy white & beautiful! I am struggling at the moment. We both wanted a smallholding for more animals, but it all feels one sided at the moment - the whole thing! Perhaps I should just run off with a local farmer?! ha ha!

I've not made any friends as such round here. I do my best. I know the ladies in the shop / post office, my 2 nextdoor neighbours & that is it! I've joined a craft group, which is once a month & lovely - so that's a start. Although I like my own company - it would be nice to have someone to be able to go shopping with, go out for lunch or coffee with, sometimes go out at night with. If I go anywhere - it is usually alone - hubby hardly ever goes with.

I'm on my own here a lot - as hubby has to travel a lot still with the business. I wash, iron, cook , clean, look after all the chickens & run the business here too. I'd just like a little support in what I want ie: a few more animals to dote on & a doggie to cuddle.

Ho hum!

Emma.x

Oh Emma, sound like you are really fed up :(

Could you ask him to explain why you moved to the small holding...

Could you tell him that you are a bit scared at night...

Could you explain that you are alone ...a lot...as he has to work and you will be getting a dog to keep you company, because he is away...

If he works away (spends the night away) could you ring him at 3am and tell him you can hear a noise outside and he must come home instantly...then get hysterical... :wink: (then explain that you would feel lots safer with a dog)

Might any of this help?

(((((hugs)))))

Cathy

X

It was persistence that paid off in the end for me, both with the chooks and the dog. When hubby and I got married 5 1/2 years ago I was told in no uncertain terms 'I don't want a menagerie'. 7 chooks and a dog later... :whistle:

I think your greatest tool of persuasion could be the company a dog brings and the social opportunities - you WILL meet people out dog walking (unless you purposely choose to walk in isolated areas). The walk I often take Tango on in the afternoon is almost like a social club! :lol:

And of course there are so many dogs in rescue needing a loving home...

My naughty ( but ever so lovely) little sister. ( ok so she is 33) - keeps sending messages via google talk to my hubby. These messages are telling him to get me a dog because I am lonely & need protecting! Way to go Sis! She even called him a meanie! :lol: Apparently, she said that if he let me have a dog - imagine the smile on Emma's face & she also said that he'd like a dog really. His reply was he'll think about it! He even put this expression in his message... :wink:

Blimey could my sister be getting through to him?? :shock:

I very much doubt it. But my sister says she is going to keep on trying & not let it rest! Uh oh!

Sister has done all this off her own back. I think she is worried about how fed up I am getting & the fact that I am lonely & on my own heck of a lot. She says she can imagine me walking a dog on the land & in the village. Oh & taking it the beach when the weather warms up. Hmmm so can I actually!

But in my eyes the only time I'll ever have a doggie, is when I am an old widow. That is very sad! :(

Emma.x

You'll be amazed the power of little baby animals, My other half started of saying only one rabbit allowed.

4 dogs, 2 rabbits, 5 hens and 1 cat later he has given in. :lol:

May i suggest doing lots of research about dog health etc to show you are serious then maybe take him to see

some. Not arguing with them seems to work as well, Let them speak (i don't hear what he's saying) but

not getting their backs up. Doing some nice things for them works too.

As you can see i have the power of persuasion- WIR is on it's way the summer (OH doesn't know it yet). :lol::lol:

I think you've got two issues here:-

1) you crave a human companion for the shopping/evening out

2) you crave animal companionship.

For the first one, hopefully, now you've joined the craft group, friendships will develop (they do take a little bit of time though)

For the 2nd one ... :think:

hubby has to travel a lot still with the business
.... I'd be tempted to get the animals while he's away on business and present them as a fait accompli :wink::whistle::shh: "Oh! Look what wandered into the garden the other day!" :liar::whistle:

That's how I'm going to finally get my bees - I'll just do it when dh is not looking (and it will take a few days to notice, I'm sure) and he won't bother to moan/groan/argue because it will already be a done deal. (My money, my time, spend it how I like syndrome :wink: )

Hope you find a way x

A friend's daughter (16 yo) presented a full PowerPoint presentation the other night on why they should get a dog, with all the pros/cons and implications a new family member would have.......I was impressed with her perseverance tbh and so was her mum......next step convincing Dad! :wink:

:clap::clap::clap: That is totally inspired! That girl will go far :lol:

I've always grown up with dogs - so I know full well what is involved with them. Funny today, we went to get chicken food from our suppliers in Tregaron. On the notice board were some jack russell pups advertised. Then in the Spar, some other pups were advertised. There was also an amplifier hubby was interested in. I kept switching the phone numbers round when we got back! :wink: Plus when we browsed the noticeboards he said " oh look a baby Pegsy". ..Pegsy is my sister's dog, who he does love. I haven't mentioned the dog subject today. Time will tell. :roll::wall:

Emma.x

I've always grown up with dogs - so I know full well what is involved with them. Funny today, we went to get chicken food from our suppliers in Tregaron. On the notice board were some jack russell pups advertised. Then in the Spar, some other pups were advertised. There was also an amplifier hubby was interested in. I kept switching the phone numbers round when we got back! :wink: Plus when we browsed the noticeboards he said " oh look a baby Pegsy". ..Pegsy is my sister's dog, who he does love. I haven't mentioned the dog subject today. Time will tell. :roll::wall:

Emma.x

My mother's advice to me before I married was this: The way to get what you want is to plant the seed of an idea, then back off. Eventually, *he* will come up with the idea and think it was his own original thought - at which point you say, "What a great idea! Never thought of that" ;)

You've planted the seed; it sounds like it is growing roots :wink: Patience ((hugs))