We're getting a dog on Saturday :D , Rolo, we met her on Saturday she's gorgeous. Shes on the second row, third from the left, tan with a pink collar. She'll fill the big hole our last dog left last summer. Not sure what she'll make of the chickens though!

http://www.yorkshirerosedogrescue.co.uk/needingahome.htm

Edited by Guest

I hope so Mum, our last dog would have gladly eaten them. She's currently with a fosterer who's looked after her really well in her own home. She's extremely affectionate, gets and loves loads of cuddles from the fosterer, I think they will both miss each other.

Does anyone have a staffy and how is it with the chickens?

Awww what a gorgeous little dog, and a big thumbs up for getting a rescue too :D

No idea about staffies and chickens (they are terriers so probably best to proceed with caution) but if she is 1/2 whippet then she'll likely have a strong prey drive. Just best to introduce them carefully and see how she gets on.

My little terrierist would still dearly love to eat our chickens 6 months on from getting her...I'm still living in hope that she is going to call a truce at some point :pray: (would like to actually be able to enjoy the garden this summer).

Yes she came today at lunchtime. She's exactly as described - pleasantly surprised at her understanding of basic commands, the owner and fosterer have obviously put some work in with her. Been for a few walks and she's walked past people and dogs on the lead no problem. Given that she's been allowed all her life to sleep in the bedroom we're not expecting she'll enjoy sleeping in the kitchen but the first few nights we'll put a mattress in and stay with her. So overall we're very happy, so far so good.

I'll post some photos as soon as I can.

Thought I'd share an update on how rolo has settled in (now called may)

Firstly she is perfect, I can't believe how lucky we have been, she does all the things any dog owner would hope for; good recall, friendly with dogs and people, doesn't get anxious when being left, affectionate, infact mostly the opposite of our last dog. We had a DNA test on her and she came back half staffie, quarter bull bastiff and quarter keshound.

The charity yorkshire Rose dog rescue have been great, they have kept in touch and made sure we were ok. I would definitely recommend anyone who lives in the area to consider using them.

Were taking her to their dog show in a few weeks and trying her hide and seek skills as she get plenty of practises at home with my son.

However she doesn't look like she would be ok with the chickens unfortunately! But all in all we have been blessed.

A quick update a year on ..... She is so wonderful, perfect, everything you could wish for. A real family dog and great character. If anyone wants to see what she has been getting up to this year she has her own Facebook page May Bell, a tan staffy in sunglasses at the moment, it's not public so send a friend request. I'm such a staffy fan now.