sandyhas3chucks

Any one with a real oldie?

I have a 3 year released ex bat, so approx 4 1/2.... :D

My question is if any one has oldies... how inactive is normal and as non layers how little would an oldie eat?

She has other health issues but always has, and until this week has eaten a bit more than she is now.

I suspect this really is her wind down, she seems happy but just eats such a little..

and sleeps a lot, though so do the other older girls????

input appreciated :)

We have a 4¹/² year old black rock. She is a little slower than the others but still manages to put on a good turn of speed when there's treats on offer! We suspect she is still laying the occasional egg because we have only 4 young uns but sometimes we get 5 eggs. She had stopped laying for at least a year but looks like she may have started again since we got the new girls. Her sisters passed on a couple of years back due to old age but she's still going strong.

I have a speckledy who is coming up for 5 in around may. She is still bright eyed and bushy tailed but she does eat alot less than the other girls even treats and she is a real fuss pot. She won't eat loads of brands of food and she absolutly won't eat pellets. I give in because she is my old girl. She will come bounding up for treats but she isn't as interested as the other at all. She lays on and off though more off than on to be honest. It sounds like she is winding down but you may find that she will keep going for a lot longer. One of mine started to wind down like that in a september but managed to go on for another year.

I have an ex batt, she will be free 2 years in May so she must be about 3 1/2 years, over the last few weeks she has started to spend a lot of time sleeping. She will have a peck at corn but she dosent seem to be bothered. As long as she eating and drinking I'm going to let her get on with it. She comb is red, her eyes are bright, she's just a lot slower than she used to be.

Sage

Well Madam has had a change in habits today.

I am sure the sun makes a difference also drinking....

I know this may sound both daft and obvious at the same time, but I am sure I have read that others have noticed how

delicious dirty moving water is....

Well a couple of days of trickling water out of a tiny spout giving rise to miniu rivers near her has caused the "oooo yummy!!!" reaction :)

This may be coincidental to the increase in interest in food.

Still not eating much but seems that this is pretty normal :)

thanks for all you in put.. :)

I love to read about hens that have long lives. :D I have a cockerel and two hens in my flock all three are 8 years old.....One of the hens is still laying.....I was not expecting that this year....She laid three eggs last week and two so far this week....None of them are showing any signs of slowing down and still do all the things that chickens do....The older hen that is laying has always been a very good broody...We have chicks in the garden at the moment.....I can't help thinking that that has triggered the laying.....If she goes broody this year I will get some eggs to go under her again..Her own have not been fertile for a couple of years now......I think my cockerel is firing blanks. :lol: Well he is 8. :D

Wow Shirl, 8 years old! Your chooks must be living the life of riley to be doing so well :D

I have two ex batts that are 2.5 years free, so about 4 years old. They are really bright, alert and healthy and still laying eggs! Sadly we lost their sister Rosie last weekend, we think heart failure as her comb had turned purple and then shrunk right back and she was generally very unwell (no other obvious signs of illness eg crop problems or peritonitis). But even so I was really pleased to have been able to give her 2.5 years of free-ranging.

Hmmm, I don't think I'm likely to find my ex batts brooding any time soon. But they did take a really good break over winter - in fact I thought that was going to be it and that they had reached retirement. Then, lo and behold some eggs suddenly started appearing a couple of weeks ago! Sadly I don't think they'll reach 8 years old though :(