tdf010604

new hens won't come out?

Hi, we got our 3 gorgeous hens yesterday and they settled nicely into their coop, had a scratch around and then hopped up the ladder into bed at about 3 o clock yesterday afternoon, and haven't come back out yet!

I put some food in with them yesterday and closed the door, this morning I have removed the food and water and put it into the run, but they still haven't ventured outside.

Should I put the food & water back inside? or should I just trust that if they are hungry they will find the food?

Any advice would be fab!! thanks x

Wow, them taking themselves off to bed by themselves is an acheivement, although it was a bit early so maybe more chance than design? :lol:

No need to put food and water in their house at all, they wont need any during the night.

They probably will be a bit shy of coming out of a 'safe' house for a while, but leave their food and water out in their run and they will come out eventually, it wont take them long to settle down.

Be prepared to have to put them to bed tonight though, like i said yesterday may just have been chance or you could just have very bright hens! :lol:

Let us know when they come out, im sure it wont be long :D

Morning!

Congratulations on getting your hens :) what kind did you get ?

I would leave the food and water out in the run and leave it for a while and see what happens.

Going to bed at 3pm yesterday seems a little early as my girls tend to bed down when it just starts to get dark, however once they get used to their new surroundings im sure they'll be fine.

Have fun hen watching over then next week :) :)

Marion

Hi there - congrats on your new chickens!! Exciting news :clap:

Don't worry it takes a while for them to learn their new routine and get used to going up and down the ladder; it helps if one of your flock is bold and leads the way for the others - you may find you have a nervous one blocking the entrance to the coop. Helpfully if one eventually comes out the others will usually follow. Leave their food and drink outside as they can kick it all over in their house and it's usually best not to keep their refreshments in the house for hygiene reasons - they shouldn't need to eat or drink during the night.

You may have to go for it and give them a helping hand today by physically lifting them out of the house and putting them into the run; they'll get the hang of it soon enough but you might get a bit of flapping and shouting at first though. Oh and don't expect any thanks from them today!

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Thanks so much, I am sure they are all ok, 2 kids and a border collie staring at them through the wire probably sent them up the ladder yesterday to be honest!

I will give them a little longer and then give them a little encouragement to come outside (might also wait for the rain to stop!)

What a great forum!!!! thanks x

OK, they are out, following a trail of treats down the ladder :)

Should I now close the coop door behind them to keep them out or leave it open incase they want to go back in?

Funny how food usually does the trick with chooks! Hope they had a happy first day and remember where to go bed tonight.

They are popping in and out whenever they get the munchies! Not sure about them, but I have had a lovely day watching them scratching around and responding to me (or my treats!) whenever I pass the run

I am fast becoming addicted :lol:

They are popping in and out whenever they get the munchies! Not sure about them, but I have had a lovely day watching them scratching around and responding to me (or my treats!) whenever I pass the run

I am fast becoming addicted :lol:

There is nothing else like watching hens

Congrats on the new hens. I'm sure in a few days you'll have them all eating out of your hand and being naughty when you're not looking.

Remember to post pictures :D

we have just got our hens too, and they are refusing to leave the coop also. It’s now day 3.   Having read your advice we tried coaxing them out with food, then a bit of persuasion with a broom, then lifting them out and putting them in the run one at a time.  They are playing a good game of running straight back into the coop as we go around the back to get another hen!  Should we  leave them and wait?  Food and water in the run.  They were fine on the first day, put themselves in at night and since then haven’t been out.