dixie chick Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 I am devastated. My two dogs savaged two of my hens last night. One died after about an hour. One is traumatised and hiding at the back of the hen house. We had been away for a few days, and while I was unpacking the car, the dogs ran off into the garden where the hens were free ranging. The labrador has never shown the slightest interest in the hens - but the younger one - a bichon/schnauzer cross, has occasionally chased the hens and pinned one down before, but after being severely reprimanded on each occasion I thought I had trained her out of this.... I think the excitement of being home after a long car journey was too much for them - and instinct took over.... Sadly the labrador was also joining in the 'game' of tossing the chicken. I will never trust them again and feel so guilty Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Sorry to hear that; it's their natural instinct. I always advise people to keep their dogs and hens separate no matter how well the dogs are trained. It only takes one hen flapping in their face to set the dog off. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
shemybelle Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 So sorry to hear that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 I am so sorry to hear about what happened.. I have no dogs but as I am writing this my girls are Fr and I can hear next doors 2 dogs barking away and I know they are not trained at all as they are rarely taken for walks so when they do get out they go mad.. We have a 6 foot fence but I have a fear of them jumping over...Is this possible? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 So sorry to hear about your dogs and hens . A horrible thing to happen and sending lots of ((hugs)) to your and your survivor. When I first moved here, one of my dad's dogs chewed her way through the omlet netting (two rows of it) and had picked up Alice before we could get to her . Thankfully, Alice escaped unharmed on that occasion and we have reinforced the netting, but we now know there's no way they can be left together in the garden without strict supervision, even with the hens in their compound. Fingers crossed for a full recovery for your survivor Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 My friend's JRT got into their neighbour's garden and killed a whole flock of 8 bantams she's replaced the lot of them and had to put up new fencing after the little beggar dug under the other one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dixie chick Posted June 25, 2012 Author Share Posted June 25, 2012 I do think terriers in particular just cannot control their instinct and even though I deliberately got a Bichon crossed with a Schnauzer, hoping that it would not be too terrier-like - the Schnauzer IS a terrier and genes will out.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Such a terrible thing for you! I think it's easy to forget that our beloved pets are animals....... we humanise them so much... I am the worlds worst. Cooper (in my sig) played in the run with them all the time, but Finley my Scottiepoo as managed to get his nose in the run twice when I've been going in, and he's snaffled them, I've rescued them unharmed each time, but it's just soo shocking to see them revert to being 'dogs'..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cluckingmad Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Bless you, how horrible Don't beat yourself up about it though, it was an accident and not as if you'd intended to let the dogs into te garden with the hens, hope the little survivor is ok *hugs* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Sorry to hear this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 So sorry for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karencopas Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 hi, so sorry to hear your news we've just got our first ever chickens and have three dogs-an old springer a lab and a little scruffy dog we rehomed who's a cavachon; he's a king charles cavalier crossed with a bichon and he is by far the worst of the 3!! the hens are in a go and run and i am spending time letting him watch them while on the lead and with lots of yummy treats for him, but have already thought we'll need to section off the garden so all the animals can be safe the hens seem to be getting used to the dogs and aren't really taking a lot of notice so i'm hopeful life with all our pets will eventually be harmonious Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chuckmum6 Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Sadly, a true statement, we have extra wooden fencing to keep dogs and chickens apart. At the weekend I moved some pots near the fence, I didn't realise the gap they left between the slats was chicken size, two silly Sussex hens were strolling around in the spaniels run - fortunately unharmed, but I have now blocked that up. I wouldn't trust them at all as it has been said it is a deep instinct, especially with working dogs like spaniels. I am very sorry to hear about your loss all to easy to happen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...