Mrs_B

Another chicken newbie with some questions!

Hello all – I am another newbie when it comes to chickens. I picked up 5 gorgeous hens last Thursday and whilst I am a nervous wreck that I’ll do something wrong, the chickens are an absolute joy! The reason for me getting them was simple – I have always wanted chickens as pets, but as I am ill they are also going to help me on a day to day basis with getting outside and something positive to focus on.

I have a couple of questions which I would be very grateful for any advice.

- I feel terribly guilty my girls cannot free range. We have so many foxes around – even during the day. My neighbours’ birds were killed in the morning only a couple of weeks ago and I just can’t take that risk. I have a 10x4 foot space for them in the run/coop and will also be using poultry netting by Omlet (currently have the 12 meter one) – I can get an extension but not in the near future. I have a condition like ME so it’s almost impossible for me to ‘chase’ a fox if one came into our garden (which is backed onto some woods). Am I doing the right thing? They seem very happy – I have had an egg off of my amber hen everyday only a day after she came home with me and it was her first or second egg (she’s even given me a double yolker on Sunday!) I think I just need some reassurance in this area!

- I have a columbine, 16 weeks – she is a little crazy girl who spends half her time in the house! I know the flock are currently testing their new pecking order, but she is so scatty the other hens get frustrated with her and one (my barred rock) pecks at her constantly – is this normal for calmer birds to react like this to flighty ones? Would a saddle on the columbine help? I also wondered if it is normal for columbines to keep to themselves/stay in the house a lot rather than join in the flock? When they are together in the house or keeping out of the rain in the sheltered area, they are perfectly fine together.

- Also, 4 of the 5 insist sleeping in the nesting box. I have tried to gently pop them on the perches but they just whine and walk right back on top of one another. I always clean the house out first thing so it’s free of poop before any eggs can be laid, so I assume this is OK for them to do this?

- I wanted to feed the hens on the best food and supplements I could find. I decided to go for Garvo Alphamix. Now though I am wondering if feeding them this complete mix is OK as 1: four of the hens are almost 17 weeks old and aren’t laying (so am I feeding them ‘grown up food’ too early?) and 2: it’s not just pellets but everything else like grubs, veg, corn, fruit etc (what would other chicken owners recommend diet wise? Are there too many treats in this ‘complete’ food?)

- I have had to stop eating chicken meat! Does anyone else find this? I had a kiev in the fridge a short while ago and it made me feel so so bad. Think I will stick to fish ;o)

My new hens are an amber (20 weeks, called Big Sister), columbine (16 weeks, called Pebble), barred rock (16 weeks, called Wildberry), white star (16 weeks, called Atlanta) and a sussex hybrid (16 weeks, called Lady.)

Apologies I have so many questions - I have to say I am terrified I am going to do something wrong which will hurt my new pets – am I just worrying way too much?! I love love love animals and want to do the best for them.

Thank you, everyone! x

firstly welcome to the forum

altrough free rangeing is the ideal set up it's not always possible, your girls safety is the most important thing the omlet netting really needs to be electrified to make it fox proof they and cats can chew through it. mine got the holes it in to prove that it's to keep my mob off parts of the garden not to keep foxes etc out.

the columbine should settle once she starts to lay and by the sounds of it is bottom of the pecking order at the moment as long as there no blood drawn or the other girls don't peck her bald then she should be fine at 16 weeks she's still growing her feathers as well so that will make her a bit grummpy to. as for getting the to perch at night that can be a right pain in the neck or a complete dodle half of mine perch at night half don't and they like yours refuse to

as for feeding I find alphamix is great as a treat to to wastefull as a main feed as they have a tenduncy to pick all the nice bits out I feed mine Garvo layers pellets 731 but if you don't want tofed pellets the Garvo 730 mash is the same thing as for what age to start them on layers 16- 17 weeks is the bare minimum I moved some over from growers last month at 17 weeks as they were showing signs of coming into lay (and I don't like eggs from girls on layers) they started to lay about 10 days later you could feed them growers for a couple more weeks but that really depends on weather or not you can get a small amount of growers personally I'd just start them on layers and give them the alphamix for tea 2 or 3 times a week

You are doing fine. :wink: Although I don't know much about what type of chickens do what or anything to do with younger chicks I do know that if they want to sleep in the nest box they will.My 3 do sleep in one nest box ,they are really cosy and in the winter they all snuggle up. I scoop the poop each morning when they come out of the coup before they lay their eggs.

You also mentioned that you were unwell .I do seriously believe that chickens are great for therapy.My oldest daughter ..37ish has a similar problem to you and sometimes can't get out of bed ,good days and bad but all through this she never ceases to come up and see my girls and look after them when we are away ,They motivate her and she misses them when she goes home.She lives in a flat and has often suggested having chickens on a lead in her window box :lol:

Somebody with more knowledge than me will be along to give you advice about food etc .... Good luck and keep in touch :!:

Hello sjp, thank you so much for your great info! I think I will get an electric netting too in this case, so I can be sure the hens are safe. I would be out with them when I put the netting out for the first time but as I said I simply can't jump up and run after a fox (I wish I could!)

I think I will change their food because what you said makes complete sense...I am getting the feeling they are learning to pick at what they like. Will see which Garvo feed, pellets or mash is in stock where I get the feed from.

After reading some other threads too - I think I will leave them huddled all in on top of their nest box for now. They aren't causing problems and I also pick up their poo first thing when I let them out of the house.

My poor columbine is definitely at the bottom, but there is no blood so I will not worry too much! Will keep an eye on her when she comes onto lay. Thank you again :) x

---

Thank you, jackian! It means a lot for someone saying I am doing fine! I guess us animal lovers just want to do our best!! Your info means a lot.

I am sorry to hear your daughter is ill too. It is so terrible to be in this position everyday and can be so demoralising. BUT as you said, the chickens are amazing and so relaxing. I have sat with a blanket watching the girls for hours. They've even helped me focus when trying to get myself up out of bed in the morning and start moving around. :)

Thanks again - I think I will very much enjoy keeping in touch here! x

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new girls :D . I'm sorry to hear you're not well but from what I've read on here, lots of people in a similar situation find chickens a real therapy 8) . Don't worry too much about what's right for them, they really have fairly basic needs, just concentrate on finding what works for you and your health. This forum is a font of information and reassurance, so just keep the questions coming if you are worried about anything :) .

Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here - Thank you, the chickens look happy, I think I will just always want to do more for them! I have been looking at so many different threads to try and not ask too many of the same questions that are about lol :) x

---

Daxigirl - Hello to you too - wish we would get some lovely sun! Just some dry weather would suit me (and the chickens!) x

Hi Mrs B :)

I'm also a chicken newbie and don't know much yet. Love this forum it's great isn't it!

We have 4 pekins and 1 araucana and we (hubby and me) are besotted with them. I ve said on another thread what wonderful time wasters they are. So therapeutic aren't they :)

Thank you so much everyone for your warm welcome, and also welcome to other new friends to omlet! :)

I am definitely getting some therapy for the chooks - they are a million times more entertaining then any program on the TV that's for sure! I adore my cat but she's so old she sleeps all the time bless her so it is nice to have some new pets who all have their own personality's that are fitting in with the family so well! :)

x

Hello

I am another chicken newbie and found this thread when I was looking to post a couple of questions of my own.... We got our 3 girls last sunday evening - a black rock (coco) and welsummer (lulu) and a rhode island red x aracuna x ? (vivienne). They are in an eglu cube with an extension, then they get out into the 21m omlet netting for a couple of hours each night.

Mrs B - ours were sleeping in the nest box when we got them, the lady we got them off said that they tended to do this when they were young as they wanted to be babies still! She said to prop some cardboard up to block the hole through and that they would push it aside to lay. We ended up having to tape it the first night as they wouldn't leave, but took the tape off first thing in the morning. We did the same thing the next two nights and they now all sleep in the main bit without the need for cardboard. We also worried cos they weren't out and about much but have been putting something new and entertaining in every few days (first a cabbage hung from the roof and last night a corn on the cob, they haven't touched it yet)

If it is ok to hijack this thread can I ask a couple of questions about my girls:

1) our black rock is the only girl laying just now - the very first day she layed a cracked shell but since then they have been perfect but alternating between small and double yolkers (which look painfullly large). I know it is normal to take a bit of time to settle, but the alternating seems strange - has any one else experienced this? Also what is a normal size for black rock eggs?

2) Our girls keep pecking at the "scruff" of each others necks - they don't seem to do any damage and it seems to be more a telling off, is this ok? Worried they are bored.

3) Is it too early to clip their wings? Our youngest, the welsummer, seems very young still (no real pinkness to her face or comb) but she keeps running across the garden with her wings out and yesterday she actually took off - as she is the least tame am worried if she escaped we wouldn't catch her!

Sorry for the essay. Thank you for any help. I have been reading this forum for weeks in advance and love how helpful everyone is!

Hello and welcome ..I am not an expert only just over a year, but have learnt loads..I am sure some one else with more experience will be along if I am not right.

1 Your Black rock is practising ,what she is laying is normal and the doubler yolkers will settle down ,make the most of them :lol: . If their shells get soft add a bit of limestone flour to their feed which you cna buy cheaply to at pet shops.

2 Pecking at the scruff of the necks is normal as long as they do'nt get aggresive and blood is drawn.They are sorting out the pecking order.Oner of my girls does this if she wants one of the others to move out of the way to get at the food (even if there are other places :roll: ) Last week the little baby one Rosie plucked up courage to do it to her did it to her and if looks could kill :!:

3. Mine have their wings clipped but from what I have read on here it depends on the type of chicken.Mine will fly across the garden and jump on to a box but have never attempted to fly over a fence. I don't think clipping their wings would have made much difference (have you ever seen a chicken flying :?: ) They should not be able to fly over omlet netting but I am sure there is a first time for every thing .

Hello Jackian and thank you for replying! :-) It is so nice to get reassurance and help so quickly.

The double yolkers are fab - looking forward to dinner tonight! Was just a bit worried by the size and confused by the regularity of the swapping (alternating for 9 days now)! Might leave the wings for a little bit longer til hubby finally panics - not looking forward to trying to do it. Think coco (black rock) needs a wee bath too as she seems to get dirty fluff under her vent.

Am loving having the girls, but it is very stressful while everything settles down - you keep worrying about the littlest things - wish they could talk! Vivienne (RIRx) was having a dust bath the other morning and I was convinced she was having a fit or a stroke or something. Got the other 2 out of the run and was wondering what on earth to do when she popped up indignantly and followed them out right as rain! Had to have a wee cup of tea to calm down!

Thanks x

Welcome from me too :D . Are you sure only one girl is laying? Could it be 2 laying alternate days? Whichever, the eggs will settle after a while and generally all be the same size (with the odd blip perhaps!)

Wing clipping isn't nearly as scary as it seems - I was terrified but it turned out to be quite simple :lol: . If you're worried she'll escape, I don't think there's any harm doing one wing now. She actually may become tamer when she starts to lay and be easier to handle, so don't worry too much about that at this point.

You're certainly not the first to think dustbathing is them having a fit :lol: . The other common panic is finding the preen gland on their backs near the tail feathers and thinking it's a tumour or something else sinister :wink: .

I personally would add limestone flour to the feed for young birds as to much calcium can be bad for them much better to put a pot of mixed grit out for them and either put some cod liver oil in the feed or something like lifeguard tonic in the drinking water both will help the body to convert calcium into a compound it can use more readiely

Hi Aint "Ooops, word censored!"ody There - thank you so much for warning me about the preening gland - there would almost certainly have been a major panic when I found that one! Pretty sure the eggs are from the same chicken - identical colour and laid at the same time, but they could be being sneaky! Vivienne (the RIR x) is definitely due to start anytime soon as her face is going red and her wee comb is growing - would it be unusual for the first egg to be perfect though?

SJP - I have read somewhere else about lifeguard tonic, where do you get it from? I had been putting apple cider vinegar in their water, but switched to citrocidal the last 2 days as Viv keeps sneezing (although her nostrils are dry so I suspect is just when she is FR and gets grass up her nose!). Does cod liver oil not change the taste of the eggs - my grandpa used to take it and it smelt horrible!!

So loving all of the advice - thank you. Chicken owners are such nice people. :-)

life guard :-cotswold chickens or Flytes so fancy to name 2

cod liver oil no it dosen't affect egg as you don't put that much in just a 'glug' enough to coat the feed

I find that very young pullets tend to lay doubles and softies and poor quality egg shells around the 18- 23 weeks old but if they start laying after 23 weeks they seem to lay a better bigger egg from the start and seem to be better layers.I still get the odd exception

Hi

My Rhode Rock has been laying for about 4 weeks and she alternated between huge and small eggs for the first 2 weeks. My Snowdrop started laying later and is now doing the same thing. One day we had a 90g egg from the Snowdrop, the next day she laid a 60g egg. I know it was the same hen as I was in the garden when she laid.

Lx

Hello, good egg!

Of course I don't mind you using this topic - we're all friends around here :) 4 of the girls are so insistent sitting on top of each other in the nest box, and they are always stacked in the same order! I love their quirky ways so much already.

x

as for feeding I find alphamix is great as a treat to to wastefull as a main feed as they have a tenduncy to pick all the nice bits out I feed mine Garvo layers pellets 731 but if you don't want tofed pellets the Garvo 730 mash is the same thing as for what age to start them on layers 16- 17 weeks is the bare minimum I moved some over from growers last month at 17 weeks as they were showing signs of coming into lay (and I don't like eggs from girls on layers) they started to lay about 10 days later you could feed them growers for a couple more weeks but that really depends on weather or not you can get a small amount of growers personally I'd just start them on layers and give them the alphamix for tea 2 or 3 times a week

I wanted to say a huge thank you, sjp! I bought some Garvo layers mash and the chooks LOVE it! So happy in the feeding area of things now, so thank you again :)

x

Mrs_B - hello, and thank you for nice comment! That is such an adorable image of your girls all sleeping on top of each other! They are just the funniest things aren't they - I lose hours every evening watching mine.

I am intrigued by the garvo mash/pellets. We bought a sack of feed from the same place as the chickens (had been told it was best to keep them on the same feed to start with) but am looking to wean them on to something else. Have ordered a sample of the omlet food but might look into the Garvo stuff if it goes down well! They do seem to love the omlet mixed corn, but sadly have not sussed how real corn on the cob works at all - have ignored two now - no corn swingball for me to watch!