Gloss-Hen

Duck Questions

Hi my mum has finally said yes to me getting some ducks but before i get some i have some questions.

Type: I want them mainly as pets and eggs, I've had a look at Indian Runner Ducks and they look nice?

Chickens: Would they be alright wit my chickens, My chickens have a pretty big area to live?

Noise: I don't live in a built up area but i don't want to loud ducks as i already have a cockerel?

Cockerel: Would he be a problem to my ducks?

Thank You

Skye

Campbells are good for eggs.........however I love my call ducks and although initial a bit loud once settled you would hardly know they are there

You need a seperate house for the ducks (although mine never use it) but they can all have the same run. Mine free range together and the ducks have no problem sorting the chickens out , including the cockeral (although he is a big wimp).

Great that you can now have ducks :dance:

I have call ducks, bantam chickens and a Silkie cockerel all free ranging together during the day. However the ducks and chickens do not share houses (as the ducks would not roost and I don't think the ducks would like to be pooped on at night). As for noise, my call ducks are a lot quieter than my cockerel and quieter too than my chickens when they are announcing an egg laying session. The chickens and cockerel were well established when I introduced my wee ducks and at first the chickens used to gang up a bit and scare the ducks up to one end of the garden (though they never hurt them) but now they all get along just fine. The cockerel has always ignored the ducks (one of whom is a little drake).

I love your silkies :D

About the ducks (white duck)(duck) , your set up looks nice and roomy and I would have thought you could put a couple of ducks in there but if you are going to have them confined in with the chickens, you will need to be sure and keep on top of the hygene as ducks are watery creatures (I know that sounds obvious but is easily forgotten) and so will create mud especially if they are normal sized rather than banty breeds i.e. bigger than Call Ducks. In other words don't forget the Stalosan and do empty out their 'bath' (which they will need) and change the water at least every two days. My little call ducks have made no mess whatsoever but the area they are in is quite big (they FR in a 20x10m garden with my chickens). On the other hand a friend of mine had 2 white ducks (sort of Aylesburys) confined in with some little Pekins and the ducks made a dreaful mess then one of the chickens died of coccidiosis (spelling?) and another of peritonitis. It might have been conincidental, but the place had become frankly unsanitary :(

Also, unless you are going for Call ducks you will, I think, either need to stick to girlies or have one drake to several (say 3) females rather than just a pair.

Your set up is fab! Where are you thinking of having water for them they do splash a hell of a way! we dug a gravel bed area to sit a dog bath on no matter what we do it is just mud around the pond they are VERY messy! but worth it! :D

We have 3 aylesbury cross peekings 2 khaki campbells and another beauty but no idea what thwy live happily with out 8 hens but when we lwet them out of their enclosure they always keeps seperate! very funny!

They should be fine with chickens. I have a mixed breed, pretty aggressive cockerel that free ranges with the ducks- around 20 of the things some days- with his wife/mother with no problem. It is only when I give the ducks their grain that the boy jumps on a few to scare them off. In the morning, if he's cranky because it's windy or it's too early or there's another boy nearby, he chases the ducks around the orchard. Apart from that he is fine with them. The other downside is the water for chicks and ducks. Even when I clean it three times a day it is dirty, needs constant scrubbing and the ducks always want the chicks clean water and the chicks always want the dirty water! :shameonu: It's typical of birdbrained creatures! Runners should be fine- I have one crossed with a mallard- and apart from the occasional loud quick it's fine. Hope I have been of use,

Heather.

Hello thank you so much for all your advice. I have done lots of research and decided ducks aren't for me. My chickens already make enough mess as it is and I don't think I would be able to clean out their water everyday because of school and everything and I would'nt want to cause the ducks or the chickens any harm by not being able to clean out the ducks water blah blah blah but you have all be a great help and I'm so glad i didn't rush in and buy them not that i would of course :oops::oops::shock::shock: sorry to waste peoples time :oops:

You've not wasted our time if it has helped you reach a decision and I'm sure it is the right one for you now as duck wather really does need to be kept clean and this can take up quite a bit of time. Maybe, one day, you'll revisit your thoughts when your circumstances change and then ducks will become part of your menagerie. :)