Couperwife

70's fancy dress party

Me and kev are going to a charity 70's party :D

It's for a friend who lost her 17 year old son to a brain tumour not so long ago :(

Anyway, it's fancy dress.

What do we wear? I don't want one of those outfits that are in packets, if you know what I mean, so I want to make something.

So any ideas? :D

Thank you :D

Cathy

X

My friend did one of these a few years ago - outfits ranged from hired to made up. One of my friends just attached 'flares' to her jeans - so she didn't undo anything, just stitched bits of floral fabric over them from the knee down to make a flared shape. I think I wore jeans and a floral waistcoat which I happened to have in the wardrobe and which actually dated pretty much from the 70s! Other people wore punk style - easy to do, it's late 70s but still valid; another girl did an Abba type of outfit - lip gloss, big ear-rings, halter top. And my friend who just doesn't 'do' dressing up got a 'Rydell High School' t-shirt and wore that with her jeans!

It was one of the best parties I've ever been to, we had great fun. Try charity shops for some inspiration. Big pattern shirt for Kev?

How about a hippy kaftan/djellaba? - I made myself one of these for a similar party: a long rectangle of tie dye/batik fabric folded in half, hole for head like a poncho, side seams 4-6 inches from edges so they flap, leaving gap at the top for your arms and don't stitch right to the bottom or it's too tight you can't walk. I copied my mums djellaba, PM me if you want some actual measurements :D

P

We went to one a few years ago. DH wore original huge white flares borrowed from a friends husband plus the vilest shirt I could find-lol I rented original 70's hot pants and platforms and found a great shirt and original crocheted long waistcoat from a charity shop.

oo my favourite decade!

so many themes to choose from....

punk (as others have said)

disco - (skin tight spandex flared from the knee with boob tube or voluminous top) or 'studio 54' - think Bianca Jagger's white suit

city - big oxford bags (very high waist and turn-ups, the 70s version were tight on the waist/bum unlike the original version) with 'hang-glider- collar fitted shirt (shirts in the 70s were tight, on men and women). And the hugest tie you can imagine

preppy - think Farah Fawcett and the original Charlie's Angels - flared jeans and tight stretchy shirt

glam rock - Platforms! Huge platforms, glitter and a feather boa; think David Bowie/Marc Bolan/Sweet

bay city rollers (I did this one recently) - see any youtube video of them - that outfit could only be 70s!

I've got my outfit :dance:

I hit primani :lol: (or primark) and found a top in orange and pink, a pair of trousers that fit to the knees then flair out, a silky scarf to match and a big floppy hat to match :D

I rather like it :lol:

Kev says that he will go to a fancy dress shop :roll::lol:

Cathy

X