Willow Posted September 6, 2012 Share Posted September 6, 2012 There is a lot more faffing about with layers and decoration this series I can bake but I don't tend to want to do much with the cake once it's out of the oven - other than eat it that is I haven't warmed to Brendan yet. I've never made Creme caramel, I suspect I'd have been tempted to just use the egg yolks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted September 6, 2012 Share Posted September 6, 2012 I have made creme caramel and it came out quite well, if I do say so myself. I can't remember if I used whole eggs though - I think I would have just used yolks too as in making a custard if the recipe was as lacking in detail as it appeared to be I do think there is a lot of faffing going on, but this is the 3rd (?) series so the contestants are probably going to do more than in previous episodes to make sure they get through. I know I would. I too am of the school that once cake is baked, and is cooled (or sometimes not ) then eating is the next step Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted September 12, 2012 Share Posted September 12, 2012 (edited) Ryan's key lime pie looked amazing, if anyone comes across the recipe online please post the link. At the other end of the spectrum... had Manisha not tried that pie at home before the show? I know things can go wrong on the day but that can't ever have worked I don't know about anyone else but I really wouldn't want to predict who will win. Sweet as she is it was clear from early on it wouldn't be Manisha, I don't think it will be Sarah-Jane either she seems to be feeling the pressure more now and looks a bit more emotional. Ryan is inconsistent but when he's good he's really good. He has a very light fresh touch with flavours. Edited September 22, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted September 12, 2012 Share Posted September 12, 2012 I thought the same thing - you could see Mary's face as she was describing the mixture! there was no way that was ever going to set firm. The raised pies were a real challenge, weren't they - even the best bakers struggled with them. I can't predict the winner either - Ryan has suddenly upped his game, as has Brendan; I thought Danny was a strong contender but she struggled this week, and Sarah-Jane is starting to look out of her depth. I thought this week was a bit less cheffy, a bit more practical. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
merlina Posted September 13, 2012 Share Posted September 13, 2012 I was surprised none of them seem to have practised the hot-water pastry - that was pretty much a cert for one of the technical challenges! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted September 13, 2012 Author Share Posted September 13, 2012 John, Cathryn & Brendan I like their baking. Brendan always goes for something different, which I like. It is more on turning baking into something more wow this series, as the book shows. But none are difficult to make, when you read how. I don't like Sarah Jane. Think she's a bit of a drama queen. I like key lime pie & was drooling at Ryan's! Mmm mm mmm. It makes me laugh how they sit on the floor to watch their bakes. Makes me want to do the same. Now wouldn't it be easier to put little cameras inside & then screens on the top of ovens? Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted September 13, 2012 Share Posted September 13, 2012 My 13 yr son caught up on iplayer tonight. I can tell because he emailed me the recipe for Brendan's chiffon pie with words 'Attached is a very nice pie recipe I thought we could try' Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted September 15, 2012 Share Posted September 15, 2012 Note the "we" - translated thats means "you mum" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted September 17, 2012 Share Posted September 17, 2012 Now wouldn't it be easier to put little cameras inside & then screens on the top of ovens?Emma.x I don't know why they don't have worktop height ovens - well, I do, the work stations wouldn't look as nice! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted September 17, 2012 Author Share Posted September 17, 2012 They'd probably sit like pixies, crossed legged, on the work tops then! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted September 18, 2012 Share Posted September 18, 2012 Note the "we" - translated thats means "you mum" He has great confidence when it comes to cooking which is wonderful but he does need support as he isn't as efficient as I am so it would be a joint effort. I found all the many steps very daunting he'd happily potter with me all afternoon to make one pie. He is desperate to try a baked alaska after watching the hairy bikers and I keep explaining it's one we need some time for so not a week day evening bake Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted September 19, 2012 Share Posted September 19, 2012 Definitely the right decision to keep them all in last night, anything else wouldn't have been fair. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted September 19, 2012 Share Posted September 19, 2012 I agree. Looking forward to next weeks - wonder who will go? Brendan is looking a very likely contender to win. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted September 20, 2012 Share Posted September 20, 2012 Gosh that was a tough one, I'm warming to Danny and Brendan more. I love the way they are supportive of each other I did get the feeling they would all have been upset if John had been voted off. Brendan is looking like he could come out the winner, as he commented there are advantages to being older Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted September 24, 2012 Share Posted September 24, 2012 I have finally caught up to date with these and broken the back of my huge ironing pile I think that Brendan might be the eventual winner, his great knowledge could help him out as things get even more tricky. I like John, James and Danny, not sure about Cathryn or Sarah Jane who seems very insecure. I love to see how touched they are when they get praised, because they know that it is very high praise indeed, although i think that Paul is being a bit too nasty this year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted September 25, 2012 Share Posted September 25, 2012 As the programme has progressed and we've learnt more about them I've found I like them all. Cathryn and Sarah-Jane look like they may have been friends before the show ? they are from the same area. I love that they are all normal real people. They look like they go on GBBO because they love to bake and fancied a challenge rather than wanted to be on tv. I was a bit shocked to realise this was classed as reality tv as I'd never watch reality tv normally I hope they never change the format I think it's exactly right as it is - unless they were to make the show longer so we saw more of their creations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted September 25, 2012 Share Posted September 25, 2012 I think Danny might be the proverbial "dark horse". In previous series the winner has been someone who didn't necessarily shine to begin with but gradually got better and better through the series. I don't think she has made many horrible errors so far. It is anyone's game though. I love it. The challenges on this series are much harder than the previous ones. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted September 28, 2012 Share Posted September 28, 2012 I felt for Ryan, because he was brilliant and awful in equal measure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redbug Posted October 10, 2012 Share Posted October 10, 2012 Final next week Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 10, 2012 Share Posted October 10, 2012 Just watched the latest episode just now. Some scrummy cakes I think it was a shame who went as they had done so well, but am looking forward to seeing the final next week Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 10, 2012 Share Posted October 10, 2012 That episode was so tense I would love to eat the cake that they made for the technical challenge it looked scrummy. I felt for the person who left too but I think on flavour combinations alone it was the right choice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted October 10, 2012 Share Posted October 10, 2012 I also think the right person went. What a tough episode though, I cannot believe that they have such ability as amateurs, and two of them are so young I'm really looking forward to the final Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted October 10, 2012 Share Posted October 10, 2012 The standard of baking is so high And the technical challenges just get more and more difficult. Danny looked exhausted and I'm guessing James was winging it a little because of studying ? I don't know how they managed to fit in all the practice with work/study and the rest of their lives. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted October 16, 2012 Share Posted October 16, 2012 Final tonight, can't wait! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 16, 2012 Share Posted October 16, 2012 Just watched it. Won't spoil just in case but just wanted to say I was very undecided about who I wanted to win - kept flitting between each of them. But it really was down to the final bake and I am so very pleased with who won I even had a few unexpected tears Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...