Olly Posted October 16, 2012 Share Posted October 16, 2012 Those cakes were amazing - my 'winner' wasn't the one actually chosen, but they all achieved a very high standard. Don't miss the Masterclass next week! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 16, 2012 Share Posted October 16, 2012 I'm pleased as well - very difficult to decide, I'm glad I wasn't judging Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lizinsa Posted October 16, 2012 Share Posted October 16, 2012 I'm pleased as well - very difficult to decide, I'm glad I wasn't judging I disagree, I would have loved to have been a judge ... but only to taste all the yummy bakes Not sure I could have picked a winner although based on the final show I did think the winner deserved to win. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted October 16, 2012 Author Share Posted October 16, 2012 Cor I would have loved a piece of the Heaven & Hell cake. Mm mm mmmm! The fondant fancies were all a mess weren't they?! Very pleased with who won - although I did think someone else who was very emotional might have won. Shame it just went on tonights bakes. I've got to make hubby a birthday cake for weekend & wondering whether to attempt something out of the ordinary as a bit of a challenge. Maybe the cake with the heart going through it from an earlier episode. Anyone fancy applying for the next series? Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 Not the winner I was expecting ... but they were all worthy finalists. I agree, the fondant fancies were dreadful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 It was obviously between two for the final decision but they were all so close. I think there was one person who was more consistent throughout, but the other was better at flavour combination and the win would have more of an overall effect on his life. I was happy with who won, I felt that the other person was being rather arrogant at the beginning of the show. The fondant fancies were hilarious, I think that I will stick with Mr Kipling for those. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 The fondant fancies were hilarious, I think that I will stick with Mr Kipling for those. I think I'd like to have a go at them, just to see how difficult they actually are I don't think Mr Kipling's have marzipan on them do they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 I made the frasier cake last week from the semi finals. Took 3 hours and I used every bowl and saucepan I possess! It was not actually too difficult, just incredibly time consuming. Meant to take a picture but it got devoured pretty quickly. The instructions from BBC food are comprehensive, and having seen it made it was much easier to replicate It would make a lovely birthday cake Emma - you need 3/4 hours including chilling time (and someone else to do the washing up). It was absolutely delicious. The creme patisierre was supposed to have Kirsh in it but I used elderflower cordial instead. I think any one of them last night would have been a worthy winner. Won't be attempting the fondant fancies!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 I was delighted with who won too, though I didn't expect him to win. I agree one of them did seem rather arrogant last night (well in fact, has become progressively more so as the series has gone on), so based on that alone I didn't want him to win, but I would have been delighted if either of the other two won, so woohoo, and well done to all three of them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted October 17, 2012 Share Posted October 17, 2012 I'm afraid I had a little cry at the end - how sad is that such a lovely group of people and 3 nice guys at the end. His mum was proud. aaaah Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted October 19, 2012 Share Posted October 19, 2012 I would have been happy to see any of them win, they all have a lot of talent. I think there has been selective editing to create particular characters. I was heartened by the tender kiss on the cheek Danny gave Brendan when she left, indicated a lot of affection. Generally all the contestants seemed to like and support each other which is one of the reasons I love this programme. Delighted for John though, this will give him the validation that he can make a success of doing what he loves. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted October 19, 2012 Share Posted October 19, 2012 I wonder how many of them really go on to do this though - there's a world of difference between being a skilled amateur baker (I love baking and do a lot, but I am way below their standards!) and actually doing it for a living. I noticed in the 'round up' at the end that Catherine and Sarah-Jane are running a market stall together, so it seems that perhaps they did know each other before the series? I like the idea of Brendan taking baking into care homes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 19, 2012 Share Posted October 19, 2012 One of the previous winners has gone on to do television and write baking books and another contestant has written a book on biscuits, so I think that there is a career out there if they are committed to it. I can see John being successful because he has had an amazing confidence boost, and if not he can always fall back on that first class law degree. My ED loves to cook and has just started a law degree and she is also learning to dance, I have told her that I expect great things Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted October 21, 2012 Share Posted October 21, 2012 i noticed John in audience of Strictly last night. Wonder if he will be dancing in it next yr. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 25, 2012 Share Posted October 25, 2012 We've just been watching the GBBO Masterclasses - how on earth did James win??? - so many disasters! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sue_F Posted October 26, 2012 Share Posted October 26, 2012 We've just been watching the GBBO Masterclasses - how on earth did James win??? - so many disasters! James didn't win... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 26, 2012 Share Posted October 26, 2012 No, sorry, I didn't mean James ....I meant whatsisname who did win! - he seemed to have problems with all of the technical challenges. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sue_F Posted October 28, 2012 Share Posted October 28, 2012 I didn't think that John would win but James didn't seem to want it badly enough... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...