BuryFCA1

Its been too long now - the girls have to go

7 girls. 4 of them laying regularly over summer but no eggs at all since the end of July. Me and my wife have given up now. We love our girls but if there is no sign of eggs over the next few weeks then they may have to go. We have tried everything:

1. I found red mite in the coup 2 weeks back but have diatommed it to death and eradicated the mite

2. I have tried wormer tablets. I dont know if they have worked. How would I know if they have worked?

3. Changed the locks so "Ooops, word censored!"ody can be stealing the eggs.

4. I have not heard or seen foxes or anything to scare the girls

5. The girls are fed 150g layers pellets daily with the odd afternoon treat

6. The girls are given fresh water daily

7. The run and coup are cleaned regularly (though I have noticed that they are pooing a HELLUVA lot more than normal lately).

8. They perch when they go to bed at night and are happy to go to bed at a decent time

I am really hoping people can help and make me change my mind but if we dont get a turnaround in fortunes soon then they have to go :(:(:(:(:(

When I got them I was told they were a few months off POL and we did have eggs regularly over the summer. It has occured to me that the farmers lied and they were older than I was told. I hope this is not the case though. When I got them they did look young and lightweight/small so I presumed they were almost POL like I was told

When did they first start to lay? And what breed are they?

It sounds like they are in moult, in which case, depending on what type of hens they are you will get eggs again in a few weeks/months.

But you probably need something stronger than diatom if you have seen mite. Check again round the perch ends, and in any little cracks etc. Best time is at night with a strong torch, or wipe round the perch ends with a white tissue, any bloody smears mean redmite. I think the eggs rehatch on a 4 day cycle and they are at breeding age in 10 days.

Redmite will certainly stop them from laying, and even if you replace the hens the redmite will just do the same, and in fact a bad infection can kill young stock.

I have twenty plus girls and am down to a maximum of four eggs a day, its been like this for the last month. they are all purebreeds. I have put it down to a combination of redmite [hopefully now gone although still spraying house every four days] moulting and shorter days. I don't hold out much hope of eggs before the spring now but at least the girls get a rest over winter. I used total mite kill spray to kill the mites and have started using buz busters powder as well. Hope you get some eggs soon.

I'm interested that you say they are fed 150g layers pellets - do you actually weigh them out? I have always just fed on demand, no idea how much my hens eat daily. Do you think they are getting enough pellets?

I would definitely worm them with Flubenvet, and make sure the redmite is eradicated.

I must admit I wondered that about the food too but didn't feel experienced enough to say! Mine have free access to food at all times and there are times when it goes a lot quicker than others, I guess their appetites depend on whether they are laying, moulting etc.

I have nine and only getting around three eggs a day at the moment but I have one broody and two, possibly three moulting but I don't mind as I just think it gives them a rest.

The lack of eggs could be down to any number of factors, so best treat against those first where possible.

Age: Any 2 years + hybrid will lay less eggs than previously

Season: The birds will moult around this time of year so you can expect to see less eggs for a couple of weeks while they re-feather, in the meantime add some poultry tonic to their water to encourage them back to full condition.

Parasites: Their ability to lay will be greatly affected if they have a load of intestinal worms or lice; please dose them with Flubenvet to treat for worms and read the FAQ section of the forum with regards to lice and red mites.

Diet: A lack of proper feed will restrict their laying ability; they need to be fed on layers feed only with very little in the way of treats. Their feed should be available at all times and not restricted in any way.

I hope that this helps; hybrids in good condition will usually continue to lay fairly well into their 3rd season and often beyond.

Edited by Guest

I have a 5 1/2 year old hybrid who is still laying....... Having said that, she is currently going through her annual moult and is looking dreadful! (And she has stopped laying because of it......) I don't restrict their feed - just fill up the Grub and they take as much as they need. Plus then they get a cup of mixed corn as their afternoon treat, and nothing else. (Apart from a very occasional other treat; but I', now trying to be very careful, having lost a girl in summer to severely impacted crop....... :(

I'm in a similar boat - out of 4 only one is laying. And I'm worried about my little legbar :-( her comb is pale and her eye looks ill.

I did find red mite - but scrubbed, used 'prevent' and the battles powder - have flubenvet;d twice and been using poultry spice. My hens are all less than two years, fed on layers pellets with the occasional treat of corn or chopped up grapes - we've even kept them in the run for the last week or so to make sure they are getting the treated pellets.

I have 50+ chickens, of which 9 are cockerels & 9 are chicks. The others, well we get one maran egg a day, one showgirl egg & two Japanese bantam eggs a day. We might get a silkie egg sometimes, when they feel like it. So you are not alone! Mine have got through a big moult & some still are. Four of them are about to come into lay at any minute ( 2 marans & 2 wyandottes). They are showing signs. The rest may have stopped for the Winter as they are pure breeds. I even have a broody pekin at this time of year. :roll:

Please don't look at your girls as just being there for eggs. The eggs are a bonus!

When they do & will lay again, I bet you won't know what to do with hem all.

Emma.x

Make the nest area as dark as possible, that nearly always solves it, failing that add a couple of fake eggs or golf balls, hopefully if you can nip it in the bud you'll be fine

Of course if the eggs are being laid soft then thats a whole different situation and of course they will eat them then. If thats the case then address the soft shells