Uma

Mareks or something else?

Hi,

One of my Orpingtons, Lily, has been a little uncoordinated for a about a week, however today she never got out the cube by herself, is fluffed up and is very wobbly. She doesn't want to leave the run even though the others have and is shaking her head a little and erraticly moving her head and eyes around to look at everything. She has been in good health, wormed last week, is eating and pooing ok as well.

I'm going to have to take her to the vet later I think but any advice first? I was suspecting mareks as I don't know what else this could be :(

Uma

Two of my hens were like this and I thought they had marks. I took them to the vet and she had to pts one of them and did an autopsy. She was full of worms one of which was quite nasty. She tried to save the other one but sadly she died in the night. She said to be that bad they had them for months but I had only had them three weeks so they must have had them at the breeders and to be fair they did try to help me. I was worming them as well but it didn't help.

I hope it turns out well for you.

Well we went to the vet, but before that she started fitting almost. She is putting her neck right back onto her back and moving it side to side whilst rolling her eyes. If you put her neck forward again she seemed completely ok-bright and eating corn and a boiled egg. But then her neck would roll round again and it would all start again.

Vet wasn't sure what it was. So we started on antibiotics incase of ear infection/other infection. He also gave her doses of nutrients in case it was a nutrient deficiency affecting her. After she came home she seemed a little brighter but I was still having to move her neck forwards to stop her doing it. She then started gaping and seeming to have issues breathing. I sat with her on my knee thinking she would pass but she never. I then left her whilst cleaning the rest out, and now she seems much brighter! Given her another dose of antibiotics and water and herban. She is still gaping but not to breathe and seems to be doing the head rolling much less.

Part of me wonders gapeworm, but they were wormed over 7 days last week whilst we were away! I am so confused as to what is going on, but waiting to see how she is later.

Oh no, poor you. Hope she continues to improve.

I think gapeworm needs a double strength worming, but are meant to be able to see if you look down throat (not something I'd fancy trying)! Think they struggle to breath though which you said she isn't. Sounds horrible to watch, you poor thing. Fingers and toes crossed!

Well she is still here. Much brighter this morning although when I checked on her last night she was head rubbing again. But she hasn't done it this am yet that I have witnessed. She even walked out of the box and is happily eating food. Her tail seems higher this am too and she is passing poo no problem. I have given her some wormer in some water down her throat just in case it is gape worm and she is trying to clear them. Will just have to wait and see how today goes.

Thank you all for the support. I have though also about Newcastles disease, but due to the fact that once her neck was forward she seemed totally normal myself and the vet were not convinced. Also the fact she is improving, I would expect her to get worse if it was ND.

She is coming into moult and I wonder if its a number of factors, but I'll wait and see how she goes today with lots more TLC.

I tell you I don't know if I will replace my girls once they have gone, as I find it all so heartbreaking (not to mention very expensive!) the ducks seem to have less wrong with them.... :(

*Update*

Wow, well two days ago I had one of the worst 5 hours of my life.... I phoned my vet again, the older of the two who I usually use, but he hadn't seen Lily as he wasn't on call at the weekend. He said it really sounded like Newcastles to him and that he would phone the Ministery of Agriculture to check if it was notifiable. (I knew it was but waited anyway). He then called back, appologied and said they would be in touch with me. The called and said they would be sending someone out that evening to see her and the rest. It was a 3.5 hour trip. I was distraught as I knew that if she did have it, and the others tested positive that all my girls, including the ducks would be culled, most awful few hours ever.... :cry:

So she came and looked at her, by this point Lily had stopped doing the neck twisting/rubbing and although still not herself was looking ok. We were very honest with the vet about what her symtoms were but she (thank goodness!!) felt it wasn't Newcastles and never even tested her! She woke up the other girls and ducks to see them too, but felt all was well. She left about 9pm. Relief doesn't even cover it!

And now, well currently Lily is out with the other rampaging through the garden! I've kept up the baytril and am giving her wormer too. She is moulting but you wouldn't know that three days ago I was phoning for an appointment to put her to sleep! I still have no idea what it was, neither did either vet. Could have been infection in the brain, or ears. Seems to be infection of somesort as it has responded to the Baytril....

So....thats been what we've been up to..... And breathe!

Uma x

:shock: You have been through the mill. Its good to know that the vets took it seriously, even though "Ooops, word censored!"ody seems much wiser. I know an ear infection can play havoc with humans so I'm not surprised that is one of the considerations, although she has obviously got something out of the ordinary. Lets keep our fingers crossed she continues to thrive :D