jacquie879

Help please..Chicken attacked by a fox

Help please.

One of my chicken (betty) has just been attacked by a fox...fortunately we managed to get her before he took her head off (usual practice!) she is naturally in shock and bleeding from her comb, I don't know if she has any further injuries as she is in major shock and I don't really want to pull her about (she isn't one of our chickens you can stroke) & I just want to keep her quiet.

Any advise please?

Jacquie

I would give her a good check over as sometimes they can suffer puncture wounds to their air sacks which can be a problem. If she has you may be able to feel a 'crackling' sensation beneath her skin around the chest. Also obviously check for other puncture would which will need cleaning up and bathing to prevent infection. Then just keep her warm and quiet to recover.

I'm really pleased with her. She's eating and drinking. Her eyes look spaced out and she's wheezing when she's eating. I put her outside just to see how she coped and how she walked, unfortunately it was slightly raining so she wasn't out long as i didn't want her to get cold & wet. She is a bit wobbly on one of her legs (probably bad brusing) so loses balance if she walks or turns too fast.

I've got an appointment with the vet later on just so he can give her a look over.

Thanks for all your well wishes.

Jacquie x

She so much better thank you. I'm still not sure about one of her eyes though. I know chickens use one eye to see food and the other for predators but it seems that the predetor eye has shut down even though the eye is open. Maybe due to severe shock, I don't know.

We let them all back in the garden today and she didn't appear to be afraid.

Jacquie