AndreaT

Moving house!

I've finally got the sale of my house and the purchase of my new property tied up and I will be moving next Friday! :clap:

I'm going to be in the country and have a lovely large area just for the chickens (and any extra I might get in the future plus ducks of course :lol: )

I've got a plan to dismantle the two WIRs during the week and use the (purple eglu) and !gored! with their runs for the last couple of days here and the first couple at the new place until I can get the WIRs back up. What I'm not sure of is how best to transport the girls and I'd love your thoughts please?

To actually move them I've got a few choices; two wire dog crates, a couple of large cardboard boxes or I could use the coops.

But when should I put them in to transport them? Do I do it the night before? They're going to bed about 6ish and I probably won't be able to let them out until about 1pm. Or do I crate them up about an hour before leaving?

Thanks! :D

Congratulations on your move, it sounds great!

If you can, I'd crate them up shortly before leaving - assuming this leaves you enough time to dismantle the run etc. That way they can fill up with water/food first thing in the morning.

Cardboard boxes will be fine but make sure they have some air holes in. Dog crates would be ok but it's best if they are in the dark as they will go into 'roost' mode, so cover them with old towels or similar if you can. If there's room (and not so much room that they will shift about too much) I would put the Eglu roosting bars into the box or crate so they can perch on them.

How long is the journey to the new house?

Hi I recently moved but had to take my two to my sisters for a short while as my new garden was not fenced in. I only have an eglu and run so left it up until the morning and put one into a large cat carrier; the other in an old wicker fishing tackle box (didn't really have anything suitable for both although I know this would have been best option - also very small car) just before I put them in the car and brother in law put the eglu etc in his. They went to sleep almost straight away and were completely unfazed unlike me! The journey was about 45 minutes. Had to do the whole thing in reverse a few weeks later, again no problems and girls settled at my sisters and laid as usual. They also settled in here and love the slightly bigger garden and mudpit behind the garage. Very best of luck.

when we moved 11o miles away, we had to transport 30+ chickens. We used cardboard boxes with lots of air holes & rolled up towels between each box. That stopped them sliding about on the Welsh twisty roads. We stopped half way to check on them & we did put air con on & we did have the windows ajar - for fresh air. It was August & warm. They were absolutely fine.

It was an experience, but we did it.

Emma.x

We moved last year. The last item to go on the lorry was the (cube green) dismantling it at the last moment. We put the 5 girls in the now empty work shop. I put the omlet netting and bedding food in my sons van. We slept on the floor that night. :lol: The next morning I put the girls in cat carriers and the cats in more cat carriers. When we arrived 80 miles later and before we got the keys we assembled the omlet netting and put the girls in there with food and water and a cat carriers in case they needed to lay. We put the cats in the shade untill we got the keys. BTW the car stunk by they time we got ther. Not only did the girls pong my nurotic cat Ellie had also releived herself. :roll: Once the lorry started to unload son and sil put the (cube green) and run together so the girls could go to bed. The removers put our beds together so we all had a good nights sleep.

Thanks all, some great advice given as always!

I've only got 2 cat carriers and the cats will need those plus my girls are so big I don't think even one would fit! :lol: I'll crate them up as late as I can, I think I might be able to have them free range for the last couple of days which will make it easier as there won't be the added complication of a run to dismantle. I'll be able to keep them contained in netting so there won't be a 'carry on' moment of me chasing them around the garden!

How long is the journey to the new house?

It's only 20 mins away so not bad at all, hopefully without too much pong! Might persuade my parents to take the girls in their car :shh: I don't know how everyone who has moved further and with 30+ birds coped :shock:

Good luck with your move, sounds fab. Would it be cheeky to ask where you are moving to :?: Alli x

Not cheeky at all :D Mauchline will be my nearest village, about 3 miles away and Kilmarnock the nearest big town, about 5. I'll post some photos once I'm in and got the internet again, could be 4 weeks! :shock: