bigmommasally

The Quilting Thread 2013

I haven't been on this thread for ages and have just spent a lovely half hour admiring everyones handiwork, so many beautiful things made by you all.

I've made a few more quilts in the last few months:

Baby ABC Quilt

Quilt for baby Pearl

Baby Safari Disappearing nine patch

P1000124

I'm now half way through a Dresden Plate fairy quilt for my mum, and then hopefully it will be back to my Farmers Wife quilt.

:D

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) though I am not experienced at all, just very happy playing with fabric - I first learnt from a master - Plum :D

This thread was my first foray into the world of patchwork and quilting, just over 3 years ago:

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43174&hilit=+patchwork

I've not looked back since and will be ever grateful that I stumbled on to Omlet and eventually onto Plums post on Crafty Fingers :D

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Thank-you Plum - you will never know what a difference that thread of yours has made to me and my life :D

:D it was good fun wasn't it. I didn't know what we were in for when I started.

Yes I admit I'm a fabricholic and a quiltaholic and its a big part of my life as well. Glad you are hooked Sally it keeps the right side of your brain in gear. The left side is for chickens :lol:

Wow! Thanks so much for that link, I don't recall seeing that thread - I really, really want to have a go at the windmills now (but I'm promising myself to finish some UFOs first! :lol: )

That is really inspiring to think that you did your first patchwork three years ago, and now you're turning out quilts like the ones in your photos! I am going to get working on the UFOs so I can have fun with some patchwork next.

Wow Sally amazing quilts :clap: I loved reading through the old thread too :D I would like to have a go at some quilting. I have the books, the board, the cutter but it's the starting that is the problem. I have got the crochet fever just now and have been getting inspiration from the Attic24 blog. She has the loveliest birds and flowers that I think I may make to hang on a string, bunting style. After that I may have a go at the quilting though :? You are all very inspirational :)

Wow.......I think everyone is so clever. I have looked through all of the 85 pages of fabulous quilting.

I have wanted to do quilting for years, but never able to. Gosh I cannot wait to try some.

Looked at the mystery quilt thread......I think I am going to start this one! Plum you have so much patients. (Do you still have the templates?

I need to get some fabric, a cutting board, ruler, rotary cutter which should I get? Anything else?

So many to choose from......

Quite excited to think I may be able to make a quilt in a few years!!

I'm sorry I haven't got the template now but one of the others may have it.

How about leading us through another mystery quilt Sally, that would be fun and those new to quilting would learn too :D

Pam go to a book shop and choose a book with quilts and pictures you like and instructions that are clear.

I started with Simply Stars by Alex Anderson link and used bits of card templates and pencil and ruler for marking seam allowances. By the time I'd finished my King size quilt I'd discovered all the tools of quilting and had acquired a walking foot and was machine quilting! Plus had a sizeable fabric stash.

You'll never look back once you start :D

I might have a go at making a proper quilt. The nearest I've ever got was years ago when the children were little. I made them blankies, by doing the front of the quilts, but never got round to backing or filling them. I seem to remember I used an album cover to use as a template for the squares :lol:

Jus seen there is a fee class for block of the month on Craftsy with Laura Knownes. I did an online class with her recently. c raftsy classes are fun you get videos to watch and can get advice and talk to other students and see pictures of their work

http://www.craftsy.com/project/course/craftsy-block-of-the-month-2013

Edited by Guest

I have been looking at the price of fabric! Expensive isn't it.

Do you think buying sheets/ pillowcases/quilt sets. Seems to be a lots in the sales and some quite pretty.

Do you think they would work the same??

Also thought they could be used for backing?

What are your thoughts?