bigmommasally

The Quilting Thread 2013

Yes you can use anything you want and I used sheets at first as backing and still do if it's not being seen. If you are going to hand quilt take a needle with you and put it through the fabric so you know it's going to be easy. Some fabrics are grrr.

What about charity shops you can get great fabrics and often buttons and trimmings can be salvaged. Ikea fabric is reasonably priced.

Cotton is the easiest to sew with but new it is expensive. I don't buy a large amount of fabric in one go I get fat quaters whenever I can and you've soon got a stash. Have a look on ebay. :D

Thanks Olly and Plum looks like I will be off to the charity shops with a view to look for potential items of clothing suitable for quilting. :D

Very interesting link on jelly rolls and shirts. The Frugal Queen has lots of ideas.

I am waiting for my cutter to arrive...oh and my ruler. Need to get a mat.....home bargains should have some mats in soon, :)

So when I have all the equipment and some fabric I'll be able to start.... :D:D

Ordered some fabric from Cottontraders on Monday and it as just arrived 8 1/2 meter lengths. :D in the snow!!! :?

Now waiting for my cutter and ruler ordered last week :(

Mats in home bargain (new stock) have't got inch measurements so need to order one! on net But! So many...... :?

I will soon be equipped!

Trying to find a group to join for crafting/sewing have booked on a day course on March 05 starts 9.30 finishes at 16.00. Via Stafford College and will try a soft furnishing and upholstery course next Thursday!

:lol::lol: now Plum that is a huge question :lol::lol: mmmmmm when my cutter arrives I suppose the first thing would attempt to cut out a square!! lol

Then......if successful

I am thinking of doing 4 1/2 inch squares and make some 9 squares to make a bigger square and make a small quilt for me for the couch.

The excitement :D:D

I spent Saturday on a patchwork for beginners course and and completed my first ever block. :D:D. now 3 blocks !! I think I will do a lap quilt for my grandson. Will have to wait till I see my daughter to put a picture. (Don't know how)I am now officially a patchworker. Felt like someone who had just found a big pot of candy when tutor showed all of the class's.

saved=1http://www.flickr.com/photos/94217627@N06/8573467452/in/photostream

Edited by Guest

Hi All

It's lovely to see some of you have been inspired again by Plum's mystery quilt, I still have the original template that Plum sent me so if anyone would like a copy PM me your address and I will pop one in the post to you.

I've been very busy the last couple of months and not had much time to get on here, but I did get Mum's quilt finished in time for Mother's Day. It's done using the Quilt as You Go method but with wider sashing. It's a great way to use up the off cuts off batting and makes it much easier to quilt. I will definitely use this method again.

Front Side:

P1000209

Reverse Side:

P1000210

:D