Seagazer

Today I'm waiting for.....

My cat Sophie to do a wee in a litter tray! She had her thyroid blood tested again last week (she's had thyroid disease for a couple of years) and the kidney check showed that her levels are at the high end of normal?? :roll: She's nearly 15 and has lost a fair amount of weight in the last couple of months. I am worried that she may have kidney disease (had cats with this in the past).

Trouble is she hasn't used a litter tray since she was a kitten so she's not impressed at

a) being shut in the dining room

b) not being allowed out into the garden - she's currently pacing the floor.

c) the indignity of having to use a litter tray with what looks like little plastic balls! :shock:

Apparently the balls are non-absorbant litter which we got from the vets. I really don't hold out much hope of getting a sample from her. I think she'll be so distressed that she'll just do it on the floor. :(

Wish me luck :pray:

Have you tried holding her over the litter tray and gently squeezing :lol:

I remember a dog we had many years ago was kept at the vets for three days - they were concerned she wasn't weeing (or pooing, sorry :oops: ) turned out that they hadn't thought to take her outside - they just expected her to "go" inside :roll: Needless to say, when we picked her up, she nearly flooded the car park and I had nowhere near enough poo bags to hand - I laugh about it now, but I was flippin' cross with the nurses at the time ... No idea how she managed to hold it all in for so long, poor thing.

Bramble - I think she would break if I picked her up and squeezed her! :wink:

I think I'm going to give up until I can get some other type of litter, I keep placing her in the tray each time I go in the room. It feels cruel to make her hang on. She might make herself ill by not weeing. :(

It is horribly easy to rupture a cat's bladder so don't be tempted to squeeze :wink:

It is not good her her to hang on if she does have kidney disease. I would ask the vet how important the urine sample is versus the trauma of her hanging on. Also if they wont be processing her sample if you get it in the next 24 hours (many vets send samples off in the post and others do them in house) it might be possible to let her go normally over the weekend and try again at the beginning of the week. If they say yes to this, try to get her to get used to using the tray by putting some freshly dug soil in in. She then might be more keen to use it with the special litter next week. Have I confused you :anxious: , it made sense to me when I typed it :lol:

Thank you Chucky Mama for your advice above and pm. I've spoken to our vets and told them my concern. I've got Sophie booked in for Monday morning for them to retrieve some urine (apparently they have a couple of different ways - one totally non-invasive which they will try first and the second with a fine tube). I just have to keep her locked in Sunday night.

Sophie is now out in the garden with a big smile on her face (okay I imagine she's got a smile on her face) :roll: I was a bit tempted just to follow her with a bowl. :lol:

Okay I'm back from picking Sophie up from the vets. They successfully managed to manipulate some urine out. Poor Sophie does have kidney disease :(. She has to go on prescription food now, she's just eaten half a sachet.

She's normally on dry food (they have to order it in) so she probably thinks its Christmas.

Apparently we have to be very careful that she doesn't eat anything other than the renal food.

Ah it's such a shame isn't it. How old is your kitty Couperwife? I thought I'd stick with the dry as Sophie gets spooked really easily so would probably run off after a mouthful and then it could spoil.

I'm hoping it makes a difference to her re her weight as she is so skinny. :roll:

Good to hear that you now have a diagnosis. Shifting cats from dry to wet food helps enormously with cats with urinary and kidney issues.

Hmm should I just leave her on wet food then? I've just always fed dry, I can't stand the smell of wet food. She did love it though! I've only ordered a small bag on advice of vet in case she doesn't like it.

I've never managed to keep a cat until old age (apart from when I was a child) so this aging process in them is all new to me. :roll: