Clunie

Indian Runner Drake

Sorry for lack of photo's still trying to sort it out!

ducklings are growing quickly and are incredibly messy (compared to chicks!).

The eldest one in particular (Loki) is incredibly noisy and lets you know when something is amiss eg need more food or water! Or Company :D

Just can't believe how quickly they grow - especially their beaks!

Just a little update re the quacklings! Eldest is almost 3 weeks old now - how time flies! They are all getting so big.

i decided to try them swimming or rather paddling in the bath a couple of days ago and they loved it! Warm water and towel dry at the end of the session - I don't think that the towels have been so busy!

Today I made the water a ittle deeper but they could still stand up fine in it and there was mayhem when they all got it. Whizzing around like wild baby duck - just so good to see. splashes everywhere and happy noises. They just love cleaning themselves in the water and bathing their heads. I do have some pics but will have to try and restart photobucket.

How very sweet! I do hope you get to post some pictures some time.

We are also parents to some baby runners, though we didn't hatch them, we got them when they were 10 days to three weeks old. We have one little yellow one called Pickle, he's the youngest and is now just 4 weeks old and was named by my ten-year-old, we also have two little black ones, named Quackers (he has a tiny yellow bib - named by DD4 aged 6) and Mycroft (named by my Sherlock-mad teenage daughter), and two little grey ones, Cumin (also with a tiny bib - named by myself) and Heimdallr (the eldest now aged 5 and a half weeks, named by my nordic mythology inspired other teenage daughter)...

We'd never had ducks before and I've been very nervous about doing the best for them, and had a right panic when I couldn't find any starter crumbs anywhere when we first got them and the supply given by the breeder was going down fast. They are growing incredibly fast and are even more incredibly messy (they're indoors with us at the moment, just about to graduate from a large rabbit cage to a large dog crate while we slowly acclimatise them to live outside in two or three weeks, depending on the weather). I love them to bit but shan't miss the smell in my playroom. Thank goodness I'd been warned about their messy ways and was prepared!

It's great to read about other baby ducks... Good luck with them and hope they grow into lovely ducks and drakes. Looking forward to reading about their progress! :)

Here are some pics of mine... they were taken when we first got them and they've grown a lot since,will take more pictures soon:

e45294c9-233d-4b69-9c02-9d411b575b49.jpg

7900d72a-68e9-417a-a621-50e72c929a47.jpg

7cb576ad-e580-469b-ad8b-e53daa4ce0c2.jpg

Thank you all for your comments and I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures! Also especially many thank to Sparkysmum for posting the photos for me :D

Anyway great commotion in the bath this afternoon as the four ducklings were all playing at being torpedos at the same time and water was flung everywhere - great splashes! it's great fun watching them enjoying their bath time. Soon they will be outside and all this fun time (in the house) will be over bu tI'm sure that there will be new joys out in the garden! :)

Well at long last I have managed to let the ducklings get into the garden with their new duck house. I put them out on Thursday as it was actually warm and it was just so nice seeing them running around on the grass, sunbathing etc. The parents could see them and were not impressed at what had invaded the garden next to them! Lots and lots of loud quacking from the mothers and curious looks and quiet noises from Pi!

Anyway a lovely warm and mainly sunny weekend so the ducklings have been enjoying themselves.

In my stupidity I have put 4 duck eggs under a broody hen and I have 4 fertie eggs which at llast candling were developing nicely. 3 weeks time we will see.

ziggy - my son also fanced playing with the ducklings in a paddling pool scary thought but won't happen as I'd near more really warm days and I suspect that's it finished for the next few days!

Just a little update - hadn't realised it was sooo long since I visited the site!

Anyway the 4 ducklings are now 15 weeks old - 3 females (including one white and one mallard colour) and one male. they are enjoying life outside and their paddling pool until they punctured it after about 4 weeks!

Of the 4 under the broody, they took ages to hatch about day 32 till the first one started pipping. Disaster as mother got scared and picked up egg and flung it across the coop!! I rescued it and ended up taking 3 of them into the incubator and finally 2 hatched. Chance another white one and hopefully female and cheeky possibly mallard and may be female!

Anyway they are living in the kitchen until they are fully feathered (any time now as they are 5 weeks old). Very friendly cheeky things! who also love bathtime. :D

Hi Shabby Chic

I'm glad to say that it was one of the survivors - it's the white (girl - pretty sure girl) who goes by the name of Chance and actually amost hatched in the sitting room on top of the degu cage whist I was setting up the incubator! Couldn't wait to come out in the end!!

Chance has become such a pet as she sticks her head over the top of the indoor rabbit cage they are in as a brooder unit and waits for you to stoke her neck. When you do this she actually waggles her tail - so cute!! :D

Another little update about my not so little quacklings! This afternoon I went up to check on them all whilst hanging out some washing. To my horror there was no Chance or Cheeky in their run. I quickly looked around the garden and at first missed the obvious. There was a lot of loud quacking from the others. I looked across to them and here were Cheeky and Chance standing outside the big ducks run, quacking to them! So all was well in the end! Although the little ones weren't too happy at being taken away from their new found friends.

Loki from the first bunch has become incredibly friendly and comes when she is called to get her neck petted!

Got to say I love my ducks, at least unlike their parents they are friendly :D