Chickendoodle

Bird feeder and rats

Not sure which forum to put this in !

Our dog has been repeatedly digging in the garden for a few weeks and has been sitting for hours transfixed at a point to the right of our shed.

Yesterday we saw a rather large rat curled around inside our wild bird feeder (one of the anti squirrel ones with mesh around the outside) munching away at the bird food. Horrible!

The bird feeder was hanging from a tree branch and the rat was able to climb up the tree and wriggle it's way inside the feeder.

We have now put the bird feeder on a pole a few feet away from the tree (much to the disgust of the wild birds who liked to shelter in the branches while waiting their turn). Can't risk putting rat poison down as the rat is obviously nesting near the chicken enclosure so we have a pest control company coming out this afternoon to put some traps down.

I hate rats! Just a warning to keep an eye out for a similar problem if you have a bird feeder in a tree

I hate rats too, and sympathise.

We had to stop feeding the bird here for the same reason, and it seems if a rat wants something, it will get it.

I use meter lengths of a drainpipe with a plant-pot in one end to put the rat poison (crushed and wrapped in paper) in, and this works well. The bits of pipe are easily hidden from view.

It'll probably be best to find ways to manage them without using exterminators, but if you feed birds, you will have rats.

Same problem here, cheeky bleeder ran up the pole and was eating the fat balls. We've borrowed an air rifle, but no luck yet. I don't want to use poison, so we'll see if we get any better with the shooting. He has also been in the wir, as he can get through the bars higher up, but we've had a clear out and a move round of the varios bits of wood etc and he's not been back yet. Only seen one so far, i am assuming there are more, just the one seems brazen enough.

Had the pest control man over this afternoon . He said that we are the 5th house in our area that he has been to. He thinks that the very wet weather has made the rats leave their usual area and go into gardens. We now have baited traps - apparently it may take a few weeks but once the rats eat the bait they will go away and die and the substance will mummify their bodies so there will be no smell :vom:

My feeder which I inherited when I moved in, is a post with a house on the top. Halfway down the post, is a...dustbin lid!!! Not attractive, but effective. No rats. However, the last 2 days I've watched a squirrel steal a whole fat ball & knaw at the contents of the coconut shell feeder. I don't know what to do now!!

I hate rats too, and sympathise.

We had to stop feeding the bird here for the same reason, and it seems if a rat wants something, it will get it.

I use meter lengths of a drainpipe with a plant-pot in one end to put the rat poison (crushed and wrapped in paper) in, and this works well. The bits of pipe are easily hidden from view.

It'll probably be best to find ways to manage them without using exterminators, but if you feed birds, you will have rats.

I understand the drain pipe bit but how do you/where do you fix it to the plant pot?

I had been a bit worried over past week that we had some visitors,suspicious looking tunnels etc.My fears were confirmed by a hole gnawed into shed where feed is kept.So off to B and Q and a very young sales man/boy.Do you have any rat traps?,me.Him what are they for? Bless him what a sheltered life.So O H will be setting them tonight all six so here's hoping.

Well, the pest control man has been back a couple of times to re-fill the traps with poison. When he came last week he said that he had been called out to so many properties in our area that the council decided to investigate.

It turns out that a man on our estate had decided that he liked rats and was feeding them and building them little houses in his shed. :wall: He has had a visit from environmental health who have read him the riot act so hopefully the problem will be solved once the current batch of rats have been dealt with.

At over £100 a time this "gentleman" has caused a lot of people to spend a lot of money.