freddie

Business studies GCSE?

Anyone know anything about it? Good or bad? DD has to make her choices, she is taking 9 "solid" subjects, plus Art,additional math, and either history/business studies.

I reckon B/studies would cut her a break, She's a bright one, but I worry she overloads herself.

Any opinions, please, or has anyone "done" Business studies gcse recently. Is it worth doing?

Thanks!

I'm a traditionalist so if it was me I would go with History....but it does look as though your DD already has a good mix of academic subjects so perhaps this is not necessary.... . My DD took Art as her "ology" subject and it was far and away the most time consuming subject she took :shock: I suppose ultimately it depends on what your DD wants to do after GSCEs and whether Business Studies would be of any use....I doubt that business studies is any easier an option than history but somehow I suspect if she is planning on Uni history may have more Kudos....

Edited to add...My DD is currently taking a PGCE (MFL so not prejudiced!) she says History because it counts towards the e-bac even though it's on hold, it will still count she reckons

Edited by Guest

I did Business Studies GCSE and loved it, I still use practical things from it now :)

I didn't take it in my first year of A-Levels but failed Chemistry so picked up Business Studies AS and loved that too, ended up with an A!

Firstly never choose subjects based around teachers , they come and go. I strongly advised my ES not to base his Geography choice around an inspirational teacher.He chose Geography and the teacher left the term the his GCSE course started :roll: The new staff weren't so great. Our History department on the other hand improved hugely the same year. Has she got a essay based subject that she is taking? If not, got for History, if then do which ever she thinks she will enjoy most. In our school the children doing Business Studies tend to be less academic and more disruptive in class- not all by many and it might be just our school. It might be worth getting an idea who else is thinking about Business Studies. Mine 2 boys took Economics but that is not use to you :lol: When applying to Uni, it is my understanding that they tend to count the top 8 - 10 GCSEs anyway (happy to be corrected on that one :) )

she's doing maths now, will finish in June.

From September, 2013, she's doing

Further math

Eng lang

Eng lit,

Rs

Spanish

3 x science(separately)

geography,

art

Possibly business studies, or history, she doesn't want to do PE, music or IT, the only others on offer.

We'll see what the school says next week, I think....

DS1 is also choosing options - he has to do 3 separate sciences, maths, English, a language which will be German, a humanity which is history. Then there will be two more subjects (they do 9) out of his shortlist of 5 others.

His first choice is music, then he is also looking at business studies.

I think he will have a good spread of academic subjects with that and I'm mindful that we restrict the range of subjects at an early point in our children's education, so am glad he is looking at what he enjoys as well as what he wants to study last a post16 level.

Eldest has just chosen her options she is going for:

Maths

English Lan

English Lit

RE (compulsory ????)

Statistics

Geography

Triple Sciences

Btec Engineering

She has her stas in 2 weeks and I think they give out the timetables once they are all marked.

The only subject that isnt guaranteed is statistics whether there will be enough wanting or able to take it. If not she will do Business communications

It's a while since mine have done GCSE's but I would be asking how much coursework is involved. When eldest DD did History, Geography, English and BS there was loads and loads and loads. She didn't do art but that had a very heavy workload as well. Just a thought.

My YS is doing Business Studies as one of his choices, in his school it is the opposite and all the business studies pupils knuckle down to decent work.

He found it challenging at first as there is a huge amount of homework, however he loves it now and is achieving high grades... Let's hope this continues :lol: