freddie

Just come home to carnage

Hi freddie

Just found your post - how awful to come home to find your poor hen killed in this way :( . Was it a bantam that was killed or a standard sized hen. From your description it might have been a female sparrowhawk. They suddenly swoop on their prey (a pigeon or other medium sized bird) turn it on its back, de-feather the chest area and start eating the flesh on the chest. It would explain why only one hen was taken and why it was left lying on its back with it's chest cavity exposed. I am sorry to explain it so graphically but even though sparrowhawks are magnificent birds I hate the way they eat their prey live. :x I have sparrowhawks in my area and witnessed their strikes and kills several times; it make me feel sick every time I see it. :vom: My 6 bantams recently witnessed a pigeon being killed by one and I found them all squashed together in the corner of the coop traumatized.

Have you seen any sparrowhawks in your area. I have planted several bushes in my garden and my bantams have learnt to run and hide under them whenever a sparrowhawk appears close by but I am always conscious that one of mine might be taken one day.