sparkysmum

Walking ex breeding dogs on a lead

we are thinking of getting a friend for Daisy, as old Sparks is 16 and a half and not too playful these days ( he actually spends most of the day sleeping in between walks :D ) Anyway, we mentioned this to Daisy's breeder who said she was looking to rehome one of her breeding females ( we think she might be Daisy's Mum) and we were welcome to have her :!::D as she knows what a lovely time Daisy and Sparky have.

We tried to take her for a walk with our two around the farm land where she lives but of course she has never walked on a lead before so had a carry instead. If she was to live with us she would have to learn to walk on a lead and my question is ~ is it possible that having never walked on a lead she might not tolerate a lead at all :?: I realise there are other issues with ex breeding female dogs but I get the feeling that she would settle into living in a house fairly quickly and hopefully toileting might not be too much of an issue either.

She really seems to be the sweetest natured girl and I would love to give her the chance of a normal home life with my two. What do you think :?: Ax

I am sure that she would be able to get used to being walked on a lead. A chap in our village has a lovely old Bedlington ex breeding girl, she came from a puppy farm and was in a terrible state when he got her. I can't imagine she had ever been walked on a lead (apparently her claws were so long they had curled right round and under her paws so she couldn't stand properly :twisted: ) but she trots round happily on a lead now. I think that if you're prepared for it to maybe take a little time then she should be okay. If she's never been on a lead, does that mean she has never been out for a walk beyond the farmland? If not, she may be very overwhelmed by walkies and other dogs at first, so she will probably need her confidence building up in that respect too. What a shame the lady wants to re home her now she's not breeding from her :(

It will take time - and patience - but it's do-able.

My Cyrus was about 6 years old when we had him from a rescue in Ireland, I guess that he'd had very little experience of being on a lead, and it was like walking a butterfly at first, but he's adapted well now and trots along happily beside me.

Use a collar and lead, or a slip lead as opposed to a harness, that way the dog can feel the lead better. Keep them fairly close and stop walking if they start to muck around, reward with praise or a treat when they come back to heel and walk on again.

Cyrus walks beautifully on a lead, it's like walking a feather! :D

Aww, thanks (proud mum moment) .... that's until he sees a bunny :lol:

Ruby, on the other hand..... has headstrong collie in her so I use a long thin slip lead hooked around her nose like a head halter to keep her attention on the task in hand.:roll:

Thanks everyone. To be fair its not so much farm land as a massive working estate of several hundred or more acres. You can walk for miles within the estate itself, and I think she probably does. It has changed hands recently and is now owned by Dunblanes rather famous tennis player 13-Andy-Murray2-Getty.jpg:D

You have given me hope that she will learn to walk on a lead, Thank you :D Will let you know what happens. We will know if she is Daisy's Mum once I can find her papers. If not her Mum then def some relative we think 8) Ax

She is coming to us tomorrow :shock: . Jill the breeder thought that perhaps she was in pup, but bumped into her tonight & said that she wasn't and we could take her tomorrow :!::!: I am a bit worried as our vet said that occassionaly dogs who have always lived outdoors fail to house train at all :( Please keep fingers crossed. Will post some pics as soon as she arrives. Ax