paulad

just need a bit of support !

Hi there

We are new to keeping chickens - had them 3 weeks now - love having them but not finding it easy going.

We had 4 girls. All was going well. Then our Sussex, Matilda, had a funny turn, went all wobbly, looked like she was drunk, then her head dipped down to the ground and she stayed like that for 5 mins or so. She is totally fine now and we reckon she may have eaten something she shudnt have ??

Next incident - our copper black, Marmite, was doing well, no probs at all, my hubby was in the garden and heard a lot of sqwaking, was going to check but didnt then when he went to put them to bed he found her at the other end of the coop, dead : ((( such a shock and no idea why it happened ?? He thinks maybe there was a fight (?) she flew out the hen house and maybe into the wall ??

Then our boss, Doris the ranger is obviously not quite right, she was very fiesty when we got her, defiantely the boss, always first out in the morning and always first to bed to get her spot. The last 3 or 4 days she has been very quiet, not moving much and just not right. Any ideas ?? She is older than the other 3, has no feathers underneath as the farm said she was getting ready to be a mum and feathers wud return after her winter moult. She hasnt laid since we had her either. She has passed a few poos that basically look like egg white ??

It seems to be one thing after another and just wondering if its anything we have done wrong ??

Any words of support would be great

thank you x

P.s. our 4th hen - Gwen a Blue Haze is totally fine and no trouble at all (so far !!!)

Shes not very active at all really - she is still peeking the others and trying to be the boss but she very slow....Shes still going mad for mealworm treats and drinking. Her tail does still seem to be up and her eyes are bright.

Maybe she is broody I dont know ??

Thank you for the reply - its just nice to be able to ask and share the worry !

If she was broody, then she would be glued to the nest.

If you bought them as point of lay pullets then she shouldn't have a bare abdomen :think: Do you have a photo of this hen? It is possible that you may have ended up with an older bird.

If you don't have a lot of experience with chicken keeping then I'd suggest finding a chicken-savvy vet near you and taking this one in for them to look at.

Ok so she is not broody then

Sorry - yes she is definately older - sorry i didnt mention that.

The 3 others are POLs and then we wanted a ranger and they didnt have a newbie so we had one that was wandering around the farm.She is definately older and the farm advises us about the loss of feathers etc - so we know thats not a problem

sorry i meant Verm-x - its what the farm gave us to use ?? and what Omlet sell ??

Isnt this any good ?

Verm-X is a herbal treatment that may help deter worms etc (there's debate - let's not go there!) but it won't treat a potentially heavy infestation.

So a course of Flubenvet is a very good idea

You can use flubenvet even if already given verm-x the latter is now sold as a herbal gut conditioner. Easiest way to give flubenvet is via treated pellets which you can buy online (I used marriages) this saves mixing the powder... Hope she picks up. Might be worth trying a tonic in their water too - something like lifeguard. If she looks poorly I would go to a vet but is she is still bright and active try this first.

I'm so sorry you are having these problems :( I'd agree with the adivce to give Flubenvet (Marriages' pre-mix does make it a lot easier). This may or may not make things better and if it does not I'd take your poorly hen to the vet. As a tonic Cider Vinegar in their water works wonders :D

Chicken keeping really should not be / is not difficult. Things will surely get better. When I started I was a bit gullible and didn't really know what I was doing and did lose one chicken which in hind sight I really should not have done. She died of sour crop which basically started as an impacted crop all because I had long grass. I was given all sorts of advice from a neighbour about turning her upside down and feeding her olive oil and should certainly have taken her to the vet and not listened to the neighbour. I also ended up with a chicken that was 4 yers old when she was supposed to have been POL :roll: - and a cockerl :shock: (I've still got him :lol: ) With the vogue in chicken keeping there is a lot of mis-information out there and plenty of people willing to hoodwink a first timer.

It looks like out of 4 you only have one that is really healthy. I'd be inclined to separate her and Matilda (if the latter seems fine now) till you have taken Doris to the vet. I hope that she gets better. :pray:

Thank you everyone. Its just nice to be able to chat about it.

Will defo get the flubenvet at the weekend.

Already doing the cider vinegar in the water.

The one that died, who knows what happened there, was a shock. My hubby thinks she flew into the wall after an upset with the others and maybe broke her neck. We will never knows.

doris im happy to say seems a bit brighter again tonight so whatever the problem we r hoping she is getting through it.

Thank you all for the support. We have looked after chickens before while on holidays, but they werent our totally responsibility. We are quite practical easy going people and just want to give them a happy life.

They do make us laugh and we love having them i just wasnt prepared for the worry !!

Thanks everyone so much xx i feel alot easier knowing i can come here now to ask questions xx

Hi there paulad

I know exactly how you feel, I thought I was going to be totally cool about the girls but the burden of responsibility when my girls arrives was almost overwhelming, especially when this lovely knowledgable people on this forum seem to be so in touch with their chooks....I can't even tell which ,of my girls are laying, who is doing the runny poo's etc etc etc...I am constantly doubting myself....from fox proofing to feeding but do you know what??? One month in and they are 5 thriving and happy ex batts who's miserable start is now behind them so if they last a week or 5 years (god willing), I did and continue to do the best I can, we can't do more than that:)))) :clap:

You know what my hubby and i said the same thing.

Ours arent ex battery this time round but i wud love to have them at a later date wgen i know what im doing a bit better.

BUT, we said as long as we try our best to keep them safe and happy and give them a good life we are doing the best we can.

Marmite, who died, my last memory of her was her pecking at my ring cos it sparkles and her having the best dust bath ever, she was happy and that makes me smile

I love this forum and thank you all so much xx

Just over 2 years ago we got our first 3 girls and lost one within a week.just one of those things.

I remember thinking that I knew enough but turns out I knew very little. :roll:

I even put a post on here as I would back away when they came near me and wanted advice.

2 years on and I just love my girls and have added a couple more .I would not change a thing , they changed our lives for ever.Even with the occasional concerns.You will find the more confidence you get the easy it is and bet you that you will b e answering some ones querry on here before you know it . .

As for your older girl she obviously need a bit of TLC and it will be so rewarding watching her blossom .

the burden of responsibility when my girls arrives was almost overwhelming, especially when this lovely knowledgable people on this forum seem to be so in touch with their chooks....I can't even tell which ,of my girls are laying, who is doing the runny poo's

I still can't :lol: I'm sure some of my hens are free loaders and never lay a thing :roll: while others get runny poos from sheer greed :wink: but which - now there's something I've never felt certain of as just as I think I know, I'm proved wrong :doh: .