Cinnamon

private health insurance.

Mine is through work, I am off tomorrow for an appointment re a persistent ear infection, I did try NHS but the follow up appointment should have been within 6 weeks, it is constantly delayed and ended up being 15 weeks wait verse 2 weeks with Simply Health - no brainier, I am fed up with NHS and the pain which I have had for a year +

Edited by Guest

The Husband is self employed & I think its the thought of if he has an accident, how long will it be until he gets treatment, that has lit a fire under him about this.

Its been on my mind too...we are both over 45 now & although we are in good health, who knows what is around the corner?

I wonder if my work provide it? Must look into it.

I have insurance through work and all 3 Webmuppets have used it over the years. It's been brilliant. LMW got seen within two days of referral from the doctors for her persistent earache. Both Mr W and I have had surgery using the insurance. Mine was at the local private hospital on a mutually agreeable day within two weeks of being told I needed the surgery.Mr W had to wait slightly longer but that was due to what he needed doing.

It is generally pretty expensive. Why not put the equivalent of the premium aside in a savings account. Chances are you will never need to use it and you will have a nice nest egg for when you retire.

We had private health insurance through my husband's job. We used it when my YD had grommetts put in her ear but only really because it was there to be used.

I had to have my gallbladder removed a few years ago. It was right in the middle of all the hospital bug problems and so we paid for it privately as I got myself in a bit of a state about the cleanliness of the wards. From memory it was about £3000. Premiums can be £600 a month so you would need to save the equivalent for less than a year to pay for it.

I think there are policies which are cheaper but only come into force if the waiting period for treatment exceeds a certain amount of time - might be worth looking at.

I think the NHS is brilliant for emergency and major treatment so I would not personally pay for private insurance.

I agree with DM...however, can totally understand that, if 'one' is self employed its just as costly waiting for an op whilst you cannot work so quick treatment could save a lot on lost earnings! Might there be a scheme for the self employed....not sure where you could access info on that?! :doh:

Cinnamon.......I WILL catch you one day; be warned! :lol:

I have a scheme through work whereby I would be seen by a consultant more quickly than through NHS alone, and if I needed surgery or treatment I could have it privately if that was quickest.

Quite a few colleagues have used the scheme and had very quick referrals and been back at work sooner than they otherwise would have been. But of those who have had their surgery at a local private hospital, there have been quite a few contracting infections and needing treatment for those as well as for the initial complaint. If I am unlucky enough to need surgery I might opt for the NHS hospital - I've had 2 surgeries and 2 babies delivered there, and had no issues with post-op infection.

As long as you don't assume that the care is better or cleaner, then private health care is great for speed and definitely helps if you need an urgent appointment. As an occupational health nurse, one of our biggest problems is helping people who can't work because they are waiting for surgery or treatment on the NHS and there is a long wait, especially nowadays when more and more companies do not give sick pay.

Another alternative that my company provides is a Health Cash Plan with Simply Health where you claim back any costs involved in health care, say an appointment with a consultant, podiatry, optometry etc. You can also claim back any 'normal' health expenses such as dental work and glasses. And if you do need to go into hospital, you can claim so much per night, depending on your level of cover. It's a lot cheaper than private health so it is negligible for tax. Also, as your husband is self employed, he may be able to claim some tax relief on the cost?

I have got an MRI scan a week after my visit to the consultant, it could have been quicker, but it didn't suit. My NHS appointment had been delayed again, should have been seen again in six weeks, but it was then 15wks, goodness know how long I would have waited for a scan and follow up appointment! Simple Health have been fine so far.

For me, it's not just speed (although it's considerably faster in my experience than the NHS) but the fact that appointments are available on Saturdays, after 5 pm etc. Because I'm on a work scheme it doesn't cost me a lot, I pay tax on it as a benefit, but it's a few hundred pounds (the value of the benefit, not the tax).