benjamin

hello

Hi

I'm new here, although I've been an eglu convert for some time now. I can't remember when James paid a visit to sunny Birmingham to deliver Ginge and Pepper. I know not the most inventive of names, but from previous chicken v fox experience we've learnt to not become too attached. :(

Anyhow, nice to read everyones messages, isn't anyone organising an omlet meet up and tour of the production facilities :lol:

Cheers

B.

Hi Benjamin, WELCOME to the forum hope you join in the chat.

I am not sure about an Omlet get together it would be nice to all meet up you will have to ask the Omlet team if they are going to arrange something.

When you say chicken V fox experience does that mean you have lost some chickens to Mr Fox already.........?

Hi Benjamin

Welcome to the forum, we have asked for a get together before - it would be great to meet everyone although the logistics may prove to be a bit of a nightmare! :?

Take a look at the Questionnaire in Nesting Box - Kate has made it into a Sticky so it is at the top.

Hi Benjamin, yes a get together would be fun but we are as far North as Perthshire and South as Paris and Normandy so a location would be difficult to pick. I am not sure but we may even have an Eglu owner in Ireland :?::?::?: Still where theres a will.............................. :!::!::!::P:P:P

My parents moved to Wantage when I was 8 and then after I got married I moved into the city of Oxford itself. I moved back North about 5 years ago and since I have no family in the area now as my parents are now in Dundee I have no real reason to return. I do still have friends in the area so you might be able to pursuade me.

8)

I'm new here, although I've been an eglu convert for some time now. I can't remember when James paid a visit to sunny Birmingham to deliver Ginge and Pepper. I know not the most inventive of names,

What do you mean not very inventive ... our son BEN (not Benjamin unless he's bad) named his chook Ginger, and Joe other son named Pepper :lol:

FANTASTIC NAMES :lol::lol::lol: .

a meet up might be fun. Perhaps those in out lying areas could arrange separate meets closer to their homes?
Fowlbird myself and Nicki from Macclesfield meet up .... so far for coffee in Starbucks, but when she comes back from Crufts will prob do an Eglu Appreciation at each others houses 8) .

When you say chicken V fox experience does that mean you have lost some chickens to Mr Fox already.........?

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.

Yes I have lost some chickens to the redhaired rascal :(

I built my own coop a while back and populated it with 4 birds. They lasted about 18 months before the attack. I don't want to distress people here, but it wasn't a pleasant sight when I returned a few hours later.

I've also got some bad news to report. Yesterday Ginge and Pepper were attacked. Ginge has left us.. disappeared.. taken :( Pepperpot is feeling better after a visit to the vet with a quite bad wound which has been cleaned and stitched. She even layed whilst in care which pleased the people there.

Our garden isn't over run with foxes, in fact we've not had any here for quite a while which is why this has come as a bit of a shock. Our daily routine is to open the eglu, and the run so they can roam around a large bit of the garden which is fenced off. I don't like the idea of restricting Pepper to the run, but I will do for a while now until both our confidences' are back to normal.

B.

:shock: NIGHTMARE BENJAMIN ... we did let Ginger and Pepper free range, all the time, till we recently built a new run ... "sarahs new Wellies and run" in the Gallery. I was thinking about doing the semi-open Eglu door thing for the girls, now it is getting lighter earlier. But quickly changed my mind, after being woken by a Fox screeching as it ran round the front gardens of my neighbours recently. :shock: .

Infact while typing this Graham, has popped in and said he is going to refence some of the side parts of the garden, where foxy might try and get in. When we had the snow too there were some suspect prints on the flags where the girls are :evil: .

So sorry to hear your news .. Pepper is better off in the proper run, and although she will look annoyed and pace up and down, she will soon settle, and I give cooked carrots/sweetcorn and greens so they don't feel so deprived from the whole garden.

kind regards ....

Hi Benjamin

Sorry to hear about Ginge.

Until recently mine were in their fox-proof run most of the time, just going out for supervised trips to the allotment to do some weeding and pest control. They were perfectly happy as long as they didn't realise they were being watched at which point they would adopt all the 'caged lion pacing up and down' behaviour. However when we spied on them (sorry this is the sort of behaviour that seems to afflict eglu owners) we observed them perfectly happy scratching, preening, dust bathing etc.

I wouldn't worry about Pepper being safe in her run most if not all of the time. You can always let her out for a play when there is someone to be in the garden with her. Hope she recovers quickly.

Oh dear Benjamin,

What a sad story. You've made me think a bit more about leaving my girls out free ranging while we're not here during the day. We are about to build a run at the bottom of the garden for them and hadn't really thought about making it fox proof because there don't appear to be any foxes round here but I've heard people say where there's a chicken, there's a fox, so I think it's time to take more care with my girls.

So sorry to hear about Ginge. I hope Pepper continues to recover well.

Best of luck.

Benjamin so sorry to hear the bad news it must have been so upsetting and traumatic for you and the chooks.

But it is good that we are all kept on our toes Mr Fox is a real threat.

Like Kate said I have also become a little bit complacent about Mr Fox thinking well if he hasn't payed a visit yet he never will. But it is a real threat particularly at this time of year when food is short and they are breeding I believe that feb to April is the time Mr Fox strikes most, so keep on your toes and do everything you can to protect the chooks.

Hope Pepper gets back to normal soon Ben, are you going to get another chook, maybe a little to soon just yet but Good luck and I hope all keeps well, I am sure Pepper will be better in the run to keep her safe like Jane said they only seem to pace up and down when they know you are watching them, at other times they are quite happy............ :lol: