Luvachicken

Blasted acorns.

Just after my girls went to bed, I cleaned their run floor ready to sprinkle with Stalosan.

After a bit of sweeping I looked up and right there in front of me was a hole in their newish corrugated plastic roof.

The hole was made by a single acorn from next doors oak tree :evil::evil::evil:

The acorn was on top of the wire with the little piece of plastic beside it.

It just shows what a missile an acorn can be.

It cost me a lot of money to do their run and buy the corrugated sheets and now a pesky acorn has broken it.

The trouble is next doors tree overhangs the chicken run and my garden more than what it is in the neighbours garden.

I hope I don't get many more holes :evil:

You can cut any overhanging branches. You are supposed to return them to the tree's owner. No doubt they will be thrilled. :lol:

Sadly the tree is too big and too high for us to chop anything off.

Once though, 2 big branches fell off their tree onto the roof of the chicken run,(before we had the plastic on it - it made a big dent on the wire) and hubby did go round and tell next door it was dangerous.

A few days later some men came next door and removed a few huge branches that came our way.

Apparently, you can't sue over things like that, but if you have told the neighbours something is dangerous and they do nothing about it, when something does happen you can.

If only our garden was bigger then the trees wouldn't matter so much.

That reminded me to put a mat over my Go. My neighbor has two big pine trees that rain pine cones over my side yard this time of year. One made a hole in the greenhouse roof panel which was 3 years old and getting a little brittle. It can be patched and eventually replaced, but I don't want damage to the Eglu which is 2 years old. I threw an old bath mat over the top of it until the worst is over!

Last week our neighbours tree fell in to our garden and completly crushed my chicken run :( Thankfully it was at night and the chooks were shut up in their house which was at the back of the run and escaped getting crushed. The girls are now in the shed they seem to be ok bt have got a lot less space. Insurance is paying for a new run and the tree has been cleared but got a 5 week wait for the new run :(

Last week our neighbours tree fell in to our garden and completly crushed my chicken run :( Thankfully it was at night and the chooks were shut up in their house which was at the back of the run and escaped getting crushed. The girls are now in the shed they seem to be ok bt have got a lot less space. Insurance is paying for a new run and the tree has been cleared but got a 5 week wait for the new run :(

Oh dear, that makes my acorn incident pretty small in comparison.

I dread when it is windy round here because we are surrounded by everybody elses big trees.

To our left we have 3 big scots pine trees and to the right another 2 big pine trees, 2 big oaks and a massive beech tree.

Over the back we have a sweet chestnut tree that gets bigger everyday and an overgrown pear tree.

Bear in mind our garden is only 30ft x 40ft and all of these trees are very close to my house and my chicken house and run.

Have you thought about talking to other neighbours in a similar position? Two neighbours had lost almost all their garden light as a result of a VERY large sycamore in another neighbour's garden. They went to talk to her about it, and found she wanted it down too, but couldn't afford it. So they all clubbed together and paid for it between them. One neighbour got all the logs and he now has a new garden and fuel for next winter once it is seasoned.

Have you thought about talking to other neighbours in a similar position? Two neighbours had lost almost all their garden light as a result of a VERY large sycamore in another neighbour's garden. They went to talk to her about it, and found she wanted it down too, but couldn't afford it. So they all clubbed together and paid for it between them. One neighbour got all the logs and he now has a new garden and fuel for next winter once it is seasoned.

Sadly the 3 pine trees to the left all have TPO's on them :(

We even signed a petition to get them trimmed and receieved a letter from John Prescott himself saying no.

I asked the man over the back if he could do something with the chestnut tree and he said he would in the autumn (last year) but never did.

The neighbours the other side have a longer garden than us as their house is further forward, and every now and then they do get things chopped off, but they are not that bothered about their garden.

I'll just have to wait until we move somewhere else..............one day.

Our garden isnt all that big and there are trees all round us, as much as it is nice to have trees for the wildlife I wish that people would look after their trees and keep them at a sensible height. Just feel a bit sorry for my chooks stuck in the shed but they are getting rather spoilt at the mo so they seem quite happy :)

Our garden isnt all that big and there are trees all round us, as much as it is nice to have trees for the wildlife I wish that people would look after their trees and keep them at a sensible height. Just feel a bit sorry for my chooks stuck in the shed but they are getting rather spoilt at the mo so they seem quite happy :)

I totally agree with you about the trees.

My garden also faces North so we get alot of shade from the pine trees - nice for a bit of cool in the summer but a pain in the winter, no sun in my garden at all.

I hope your girls' house and run get put up soon.

We have covered the roof with an old carpet - last used to stop Daisy slipping on our floor - and some plastic to keep the carpet dry with bricks on top.

It has made the run a bit dark but hopefully it will just be for a little while.

NEVER throw anything away, this old carpet has nearly been to the tip twice.

You never know when something might come in handy.