hl050

What to do with an incontient dog

Hello

I wasn't sure where to turn but thought someone out there may bew able to help. I have one very spoilt dog, who has had free range of the house to sleep where he sees fit. We have had a couple of incidents of when he is upset (fireworks) of going up and peeing on the beds!

He has started to do this more and more and resluted in mattress going to the tip yesterday and baby gate bieng installed. Husband just called as he is working from home today and he has peed on the sofa. This would have involved him going to another room to pee on sofa and then going back to his bed. I don't think its because hes desparate for the toilet i think it is a behaviourly thing. its as though hes protesting about not being allowed upstairs!. Any suggestions greatly appreciated? baby gates down stairs are not an option as it is completly open plan.

and i think nappies will stress him more !! :wall:

Yep - definitely get him to the vet. My parents' dog started peeing in the house as he got older. They took him to the vet for a check over and mentioned the problem, the vet took a load of blood as she wanted to run kidney tests etc. Mum asked for a urine test in case it was a bladder infection - which it was. So be prepared to ask for a urine test if you're not offered it (although you'd hope that it would be offered first really!).

Start with the vet and then if everything is OK, go back to puppy training techiques. Ensure everywhere he has soiled is cleaned well and carries none of the smell - do not use a pine disinfectant as it can encourage them to urinate there. SImple Solution is the best cleaner to use. I would also install an Adapil pheromone diffuser or a Pet Remedy DIffuser in the rooms that he uses most to provide a calm stress free environment for him.

I actually wouldn't remove the water of an older dog as there may be a degree of kidney impairment. He may have 'dementia', he may also be athritiic. Dogs with joint pain sometime avoid going to the loo as it can be painful to cock a leg or squat. As a result their bladders get very full and they can get taken short. A trip to the vet is a must initially. There are a couple of meds that can improve brain function to a degree in the older dog. It would be a good idea to try and get a urine sample in a clean jar (no traces of sugar in it!) to take to the vets when you go for them to test.

Old Sparx is just short of 17yrs and has a degree of senility for which he receives medication (vivitonin) He has occasional accidents indoors at night but as Chucky says we dont take away his water (he can be quite thirsty). We take him out to the garden as late as we can - midnightish and stand around until he eventually wee's. Since he has a degree of senility this can often take an age, as he doesnt always know why he has been woken up and taken out to the garden. he will just stand looking around. On my work days, Simon takes him out again in the morning as late as he can - about 8.30 or so. This is often even more hysterical as he is so tired in the mornings he is often still half asleep in the garden. However by doing this we have avoided too many accidents, although we have accepted that it probably goes with the territory and have invested in a quality carpet shampooer.

I hope you are able to sort out something for your dog as it can be quite difficult knowing what to do for the best. Ax

Hi all

Chucky mama good point re: arthritis.He does have arthritis and some demented moments!! Since posting on MOnday we haven't had any accidents! Well he doesn't haves a mattress to pee on any more and the sofa chusions are still in the garden airing! I have been getting him out last thing at night as late as we can that seems to help...