quickcluck

House training an adult dog

We've had Saffi a 2yr old yorkie for a few weeks now, but are no further forward with house training!

When we are home we take her out every hour or so and say 'wee wee' until she goes and then 'good wee wee', am sure the neighbours think i'm nuts! :shock:

How ever she has no initiative to go out on her own even if the door is open I can find a wee or a poop on the floor! When I work I take her out into the garden and sometimes get 2 wee but still a puddle when I return!!!

Any advice????

Time and commitment. We went through it with our 12 month rescue rottie, a 12ish month old collie rescue and just going through it right now with an 18 month old jack russell we've been given.

Unless I can keep my eye on them 100% to catch them in the act and deal with it there and then they don't get to come in. If you give it 100% then it takes a couple of days.

Teaching them to wee on command is an excellent bonus so definitely stick with that. The collie is completely trustworthy at home but in other peoples houses or other inappropriate places he is a so untrustworthy. Making sure he does his business first has been the only way to save embarrasments!

Just keep going - it took quite a few weeks for us to housetrain Tango but we got there in the end. We found restricting access to parts of the house helped as we could keep a closer eye on her. She seemed to favour a spot in the hallway by the front door and we repeatedly kept finding tiddles there. Blocking off the hallway so she couldn't access that spot helped as she dithered about looking for somewhere to go it gave us those valuable few seconds to shoo her outside :lol: Obviously don't tell your dog off for going inside but don't be afraid to interrupt a wee and take the dog outside to finish the job (accompanied by lots of praise of course). We found with Tango it was all well and good showing her where she could go but we also had to show her where not to go.

Keep going for a few weeks even when you think you've cracked it as not only is the dog having to learn not to go in the house, they are also having to learn to hold on and not just go when they feel like it.

Good luck - treat yourself to a deep carpet clean when you've cracked it! :lol:

Backwards and forwards is the answer!

She's good a hiding in the garden so we can't always tell if she's been or not. The latest trick is that she has learned to use the catflap which is brill. But she comes in through the flap into the dinning room and pee's on the carpet!!! DH is nearly at his wits end... It's like she either forgets to go while out or still doen't associate going with being outside...... It's mainly of a night so I wonder if she doesn't like the dark....

So back to hourly toileting from this evening..... What are you doing with Annabel????

I find it really is a case of watching like a hawk. You may need to lock the cat flap for the time being. The problem is, that until they learn that the garden is the toileting area, then they don't realise that's what they've been put out here to do and often get distracted by other more interesting things. Then they realise when they get back inside they need a wee! I often stood outside with Tango getting on for an hour in the early days waiting for her to wee... I took the view that she must need to go eventually! :lol:

Funny you should say that, as I was wondering if she's associating 'wee wee' with chase the chickens! That's what she seems to spend her time doing!

take her out on a lead and give her the 'wee wee' command until she does, then let her off as her reward and play time.

I too would suggest her only going out on a lead to do wees, with a command (ours from her breeder was do wees!) and I would then bring her back in to have a play. One of the puppy training books says until toilet training is established, outside is just for wees and walks. Once Neela understood that, her toilet training was excellent. Hope it works quickly for you. Just don't forget she has had two years of doing it where she likes, so it will take time and patience for her to do it where she is allowed. Good luck :D

Annabel isn't doing too badly, although we have had a few accidents. She is walked at 7am, lunch time and about 4.00pm and if we are up for it bed time too. She is put into the garden as late as we can - about midnightish - with Sparky and Daisy. If she wee's in the house we spray it with clean the area and spray it with dog repellent ( a spray called Get Off. It doesnt smell great but we haven't had to use it too often. I'm not really sure what the solution is but my vet did warn me that some ex breeding dogs/ kennel dogs can be extremely difficult to house train :(

Here's hoping. Ax

Spoke too soon. 2 poos in living room this morning :vom: I am guessing Sparky and Annabel. Very unusual for Sparx but was torrential rain last night and I cut short his walk and when he went out into the garden he just stood vacantly. Got a day off today so I'll be shampooing carpets ~ again. Ax

As the others have said... take her out on a lead and wait until she performs; use the appropriate command immediately and treat with a high value treat such as liver cake or cooked sossidge. Only use the garden for toileting until she gets the hang of it. Take he rout after every meal, sleep and on the hour in between to prevent her going indoors and building up a habit to do that.

Could it be an attention seeking thing?

Don't make any fuss or even look at her when she goes indoors, just put the lead on and march her outside. Clean it up, but ignore and don't look at her when she does it inside. Also, when a dog is new to a house it helps to restrict their 'ranging' to just a couple of rooms at first.

Tango was 100% clean overnight from day 1, but tiddled in the house multiple times during the day - so we knew she could hold it!

How do you leave her when you go out? We used to leave Tango in the kitchen overnight at first and I wonder if that helped as maybe she didn't want to soil her bedroom area? (Now she sleeps on the bedroom :oops: On her own bed I hasten to add!)

I think that's why it helped to also restrict access to the house to help with training.

Hello! Think we are doing OK-ish

During the day and nights are pretty good. Evenings are not so. We think that she is not keen on the dark. So we physically pick her up and plonk her in her favorite spot and she seems to go, so it's down to us spotting the signs of needing to go out. These seem to be that she wonders about alot..... but she doesn't rest much anyway so can be tricky, but we've had a few dry days! Not sure what the change in weather will bring on!

Pleased things are looking up for you too! Who'd have thought i'd be so hard?

Also took her to the vets yesterday as she's not vaccinated. had been umming and arring, but we've had a couple of outbreaks of Parvo locally so she'd now done! She didn't enjoy it poor thing....

She's not keen on tolerating the cleaning overnight gel, even tho it's salmon flavored!

Hi quickcluck, haven't heard of this. For teeth :?: Daisy has a bit of a plaque problem and not too keen on having repeated dentals. Also Daisy not keen on raw bones. Does Saffi eat bones? Guessing chicken? Ax