paulad

Just introduced the oldies to the newbies !!!!

Sounds like you've been really lucky. Have you got enough room for the newbies to run away, and places for them to escape, for a bit. I found other than one new chicken, who my girls would try to kill! The other girls would only go for the new ones when they got in their way. So plenty of feeders and drinkers, and make sure you spread treats all round the run not in one pile. :)

Yes we have had them in same run for the last week but fenced off from each other - have let them FR for the other 30 mins or so all week.

then today they have been in the garden together all day.

The 2 oldies are defo just "going for " the boss of the new 3 !!!

Yes we have put lots of perches up today and cds from roof. Put an old chair in there too - Spread the food all over.

Seems to be going ok at the moment ( dreading coming home from work tomoz though incase something horrible happens)

Also wondering how bedtime will go tonight !! Soon find out I guess

well went down - on ex bat in with the 2 oldies....another exbat went in without too much fuss. Then 3rd was hiding in a corner so had to pick her up and put her in xx Stood outside for a while and all seemed calm ??

What happens now - will they be ok do u think ??

What a worry these chucks are !

Well fingers crossed - you sound like you have a good group there and you have done all the right things.

I would just keep an eye on the one that you said was hiding - could be that she falls at the bottom of the pecking order and may need a hand here and there.

You have covered the main things - lots of space to run about in, things to clamber onto if they get too worried and access to food in different areas so everyone gets fed. Sounds smashing :clap:

ooh I hope so !!! the one that was hiding is 4th out of 5 in the peeking order I think. The one that's at the bottom is abit cheekier though and seems abit braver.

Hubby can go and open up in the morning !!! :lol:

Yes Im pleased it hasn't been tooo bad - bless em......The exbats were loving the sunshine today so lovely to see

thanks all for your listening and advice - its very reassuring

I think you deserve a bit of luck after the stressful start you had to chicken keeping, look at us, we both started as newbies a little while ago and very occasionally I find Myself being able to reply to some questions, I am hoping to get some more ex batts soon so interested to see how you get on. Onward and upwards and well done you :clap:

Amazingly it has all been totally fine- cant believe it really and keep expecting fights !!!

Dont get me wrong, they are still not friends and the newbies r quick to get out of the others way but not too much hassle at all. So happy

And yes i reckon ur right - one of the ex-bats will be top hen eventually !!!!

Haha Hen Whisperer i definately am not !!!

There is still a fair bit of pecking and minor squabbles but i guess thats to be expected.

We have a problem now with feather eating - any ideas ?? I know its a habit that needs to be broken !! My ex-bats havent got many feathers as it is so i dont want them losing any more :?

One of mine started eating loose feathers in the run so I remove them twice a day and I think they have stopped. If they are pulling them off each other then try and keep washing their bums so there is no dried egg on them which makes feathers tasty.

You can give them a tonic with trace minerals to ensure they are not short of anything and trying to replace it and failing that it's probably yucky anti pecking stuff or beak bits. Bind their beaks up now naughty girls!!