oneyolktoanother

Having a bad run of it

Really not having at great time at the moment one of my girls mocha had an impacted crop got it down and it compacted again so yesterday she had to have the op which was £400 :shock: but is doing well but to daisy was breathing heavy and sneezing she sounded weasey so as mocha was going back for a check after the op I took daisy the vet said he couldn't diagnose what is wrong so is treating with tylan and metacam. That cost another £100 my oh loves the girls but is getting annoyed at the cost of vet bills. I am so worried about daisy has anyone got any ideas on how to help daisy as a bit stressed

Hi. I am so sorry you are having trouble with your girls. Where about in Birmingham are you? I used to go to Manor Vets in Edgbaston, but on average a visit with medication was around £100. I moved to the Vets at Home/Companion Care vets in Oldbury and they really know their stuff about chickens. The average cost of a visit with medication is £28. Also, they are open 7 days a week, including Bank Holidays - not sure if that may help you. They do have other branches too.

As for Daisy, without knowing exactly what is wrong, you can do a few generic things ie tonics to be added to their water to give them a boost to their immune system, Avipro probiotic powder added to their food or water to give their digestive system a boost and allow them to absorb a high amount of nutrients from their food. Is Daisy's crop ok?

I find half a pint of what maggots - which you can get from fishing shops - are brilliant for giving their crops a thorough cleaning out. When one of my girls lays soft eggs, often her crop emptying will slow down a little and the maggots, mixed with live yoghurt ( :vom: I know!) really help and her crop is always completely empty the next day and stays that way for some time.

I have found Citricidal Grapefruit Seed Extract recommended on here when the girls get snuffly.

Let us know how you get on won't you.

Hi. I am so sorry you are having trouble with your girls. Where about in Birmingham are you? I used to go to Manor Vets in Edgbaston, but on average a visit with medication was around £100. I moved to the Vets at Home/Companion Care vets in Oldbury and they really know their stuff about chickens. The average cost of a visit with medication is £28. Also, they are open 7 days a week, including Bank Holidays - not sure if that may help you. They do have other branches too.

As for Daisy, without knowing exactly what is wrong, you can do a few generic things ie tonics to be added to their water to give them a boost to their immune system, Avipro probiotic powder added to their food or water to give their digestive system a boost and allow them to absorb a high amount of nutrients from their food. Is Daisy's crop ok?

I find half a pint of what maggots - which you can get from fishing shops - are brilliant for giving their crops a thorough cleaning out. When one of my girls lays soft eggs, often her crop emptying will slow down a little and the maggots, mixed with live yoghurt ( :vom: I know!) really help and her crop is always completely empty the next day and stays that way for some time.

I have found Citricidal Grapefruit Seed Extract recommended on here when the girls get snuffly.

Let us know how you get on won't you.

Thanks Libby I love in Oldbury is at the vets at pets at home? I do go to manor vets in edgbaston but the cost is so much, thankyou for telling me about this place. Daisy's crop is fine it's just her breathing poor little girl. Mochas crops is good so far touch wood. Going to check on them now will update you later. Thanks :)

Hi

That's the one - the vet is inside Pets at Home at the back. If you need to make an appointment, ask for Monish as he is just brilliant with the chickens and treats a lot of them. Also, if they ask you to come back for a return visit, it is free and if it is the case that your pet has recovered due to the treatment, they will sometimes let you phone in and tell them, rather than go all the way back.

Hi

That's the one - the vet is inside Pets at Home at the back. If you need to make an appointment, ask for Monish as he is just brilliant with the chickens and treats a lot of them. Also, if they ask you to come back for a return visit, it is free and if it is the case that your pet has recovered due to the treatment, they will sometimes let you phone in and tell them, rather than go all the way back.

I will have to give them try. Daisy's crop has gone hard now think it's cause she's ill and not drinking so have had to syringe her, it breaks my heart seeing her like this

What a shame - it all seems to come at the same time doesn't it and it is so upsetting to see them ill. Doing a bit of research for you, you are doing the right thing with water and massage, then keep repeating the same.

Did the vet indicate why Mocha had an impacted crop? Was it due to eating grass or something along those lines?

If you do need help, the phone number for the vets we discussed is 0121 270 2282 and they are open tomorrow from 10.30 am to 3.30 pm. Just let them know it is a chicken you are bringing along and you would like one the vets who is used to treating them to help you. Sounds daft I know, but there are one or two of them that aren't as used to dealing with chickens.

However, if you do keep the water and massage going, you may find a big improvement by morning, so fingers crossed.

When you get chance, keep us updated.

xx

What a shame - it all seems to come at the same time doesn't it and it is so upsetting to see them ill. Doing a bit of research for you, you are doing the right thing with water and massage, then keep repeating the same.

Did the vet indicate why Mocha had an impacted crop? Was it due to eating grass or something along those lines?

If you do need help, the phone number for the vets we discussed is 0121 270 2282 and they are open tomorrow from 10.30 am to 3.30 pm. Just let them know it is a chicken you are bringing along and you would like one the vets who is used to treating them to help you. Sounds daft I know, but there are one or two of them that aren't as used to dealing with chickens.

However, if you do keep the water and massage going, you may find a big improvement by morning, so fingers crossed.

When you get chance, keep us updated.

xx

Thanks very much, I've been stressing myself all day hoping there will be improvement tomorrow for daisy. As for mocha we couldnet find the source there was dried insects and a leaf. But touch wood she is doing well now :)

I am keeping everything crossed for Daisy today.

I have had this a couple of times with my girls and I couldn't put my finger on the cause, as they are in a pen without grass and of course their food is controlled and nothing had changed in their diet.

However, they were hitting a patch of laying soft eggs and I think myself that Pepper's egg gland is perhaps damaged, as she used to lay huge eggs and then hit a patch of problems and was quite ill. Also, I have tried every kind of treatment to prevent softies and nothing has worked.

With the egg problems we also had the crop problems and reading up on it, it is possible for them to come hand in hand. Although you are always told, never feed them anything further if their crop is blocked, in desperation, I tried feeding them a small amount of white maggots and it would seem, they ate through the blockage and the crop was vastly reduced the next day. I repeated this for three days in total, but also got them quickly onto the live yoghurt and probiotic powder as, of course, sour crop can follow an impacted crop.

I have to watch for it constantly now as it did come and go for a while, but they have maggots every ten days and yoghurt three times a week to just keep on top of it.

Well, I am rattling on in the hope that anything might strike a chord or help you out. I so hope Daisy is a bit better today and that you may be feeling better too.

I have had this a couple of times with my girls and I couldn't put my finger on the cause, as they are in a pen without grass and of course their food is controlled and nothing had changed in their diet.

However, they were hitting a patch of laying soft eggs and I think myself that Pepper's egg gland is perhaps damaged, as she used to lay huge eggs and then hit a patch of problems and was quite ill. Also, I have tried every kind of treatment to prevent softies and nothing has worked.

With the egg problems we also had the crop problems and reading up on it, it is possible for them to come hand in hand. Although you are always told, never feed them anything further if their crop is blocked, in desperation, I tried feeding them a small amount of white maggots and it would seem, they ate through the blockage and the crop was vastly reduced the next day. I repeated this for three days in total, but also got them quickly onto the live yoghurt and probiotic powder as, of course, sour crop can follow an impacted crop.

I have to watch for it constantly now as it did come and go for a while, but they have maggots every ten days and yoghurt three times a week to just keep on top of it.

Well, I am rattling on in the hope that anything might strike a chord or help you out. I so hope Daisy is a bit better today and that you may be feeling better too.

Aww thankyou, this morning she was a lot brighter still sneezing but no wheezing but had a hard crop have sorted it out by syringing her water (don't think she likes the tylan) which crop is soft now but she has just in the last half an hour started wheezing poor girl :( so hoping she is starting to pick up. It so stresses me out when one if my pets is ill.

That's great that her crop isn't hard now. If you get chance, I would try her with the yoghurt if you can, just to make sure it doesn't go into sour crop. The yoghurt will really do the trick.

I totally understand. I am exactly the same. Going down the garden at all hours with a torch to check on the girls and getting up earlier than normal to see whether they are any better. It really makes you so tired doesn't it, probably because we don't sleep too well when they are ill.

However, you are doing everything you can and Daisy is in good hands.

I hope she is better still tomorrow.

Im sorry you have been having so many problems but I am going to sound horrible to you my girls are all my pets I haven't bothered with vets for years I treat them and if I cant cure them I cull them or get my friend to there is no way I could afford or justify paying £400 on a chicken but if you want to pay it good on you leanne :)

I totally understand what you are saying Miller30 - it really is a tough decision when you are faced with a vet who says, now is the time for your treasured pet to go - or pay a large amount to save her - it really is what it comes down to. If you can't - you just can't and it must be heart breaking. However, I suppose it comes down to the level of attachment. My girls too are my pets and more than that, they are something other than family (!) to come home to after a stressful day and just switch off. I know every tiny thing about each one and love them dearly. Faced with a large vet bill, I would pay out as I couldn't stand to lose them. However, I think the answer is to find a cheaper vet :lol:

However, recently I had one girl who was so ill, if I did have someone who could have helped and culled her there and then, I would have done. However, after a visit to the vets and treatment she was fine and I just couldn't believe it. She really looked at deaths door, not eating, not drinking, closed eyes, hunched, not walking around etc etc. I was so relieved and that only cost £20 so bonus there too :lol:

We all have different ways but as long as they are loved and cared for it all comes down to the same in the end.

Aww thankyou, this morning she was a lot brighter still sneezing but no wheezing but had a hard crop have sorted it out by syringing her water (don't think she likes the tylan) which crop is soft now but she has just in the last half an hour started wheezing poor girl :( so hoping she is starting to pick up. It so stresses me out when one if my pets is ill.

Sorry haven't been on have been run off my feet, mocha is doing well now but daisy is still quite poorly took her to the vets on Oldbury and they gave her metacam and baytril she still has a few days on the baytril left but her is breathing is still bad the vet recommended worming them as we have thought it could be gape worm but she seems very poorly today and has the vets again at 530. I'm not sure wether to bring her in the house. She is now making like a coughing noise and is still sneezing and breathing through her mouth poor girl

Does anyone have any ideas? In so stressed

Oh no, what a shame. I totally agree - let her rest quietly in the warm.

How did you get on? :pray:

She's been in today resting, the vet has doubled her baytril and she is back on metacam he can't hear any fluid on her chest and he's confident we can treat her :pray: it breaks my heart seeing her like this. She did eat a bit today which is good just got to get her drinking her self fingers crossed

I am keeping everything crossed for you. Glad she has taken some food. One thing I did find that worked when my girl wasn't eating - she refused everything but when she saw sweetcorn she just couldn't say no and managed to steadily eat some and the vet said it was ideal as it had a lot of fluid for her too.

Keep us updated when you get chance won't you.

I am keeping everything crossed for you. Glad she has taken some food. One thing I did find that worked when my girl wasn't eating - she refused everything but when she saw sweetcorn she just couldn't say no and managed to steadily eat some and the vet said it was ideal as it had a lot of fluid for her too.

Thanks Libby22 I will let you know how she is tomorrow fingers crossed

Hi libby22 daisy is a lot brighter today and get breathing is do much better, she hasn't been coughing today just a little bit if sneezing. Yesterday scared me she would'net eat and was quite down was really dreading checking on her this morning but she was up and eating :D I bought her friend Molly in for a two to say hello they both seemed pleased to see each other!! She seems quite bored when I go in to her she comes straight to me I think she could do with stopping in at least another day. Have you any ideas to keep her occupied?

I am glad - been keeping everything crossed for you and so far so good I think.

That is a really good idea to bring one of the girls in to see her. I have brought Pepper in on occasion and I tend to work with how she is doing on the day. When she was really off colour, she was happy to sit in her cat basket, with the door open and look around the room and have a nap, as long as she could see me really and she would stay that way for some time.

Once she started to try to come out or charge about, I would put her back in the pen and watch to see how she reacted. As long as she was busy, I let her stay there, as soon as she started to look weak or tired, I would show her the cat basket and the poor thing would willingly climb in and I would bring her in for a while. I then put her back in the nest box as it got dark. Might be worth a try if she is looking a bit bored, especially as the sun is out for five mins!

I am glad - been keeping everything crossed for you and so far so good I think.

That is a really good idea to bring one of the girls in to see her. I have brought Pepper in on occasion and I tend to work with how she is doing on the day. When she was really off colour, she was happy to sit in her cat basket, with the door open and look around the room and have a nap, as long as she could see me really and she would stay that way for some time.

Once she started to try to come out or charge about, I would put her back in the pen and watch to see how she reacted. As long as she was busy, I let her stay there, as soon as she started to look weak or tired, I would show her the cat basket and the poor thing would willingly climb in and I would bring her in for a while. I then put her back in the nest box as it got dark. Might be worth a try if she is looking a bit bored, especially as the sun is out for five mins!

Think we're gonna see how she is tomorrow and if still looking good will put her in the pen she enjoys me sitting with her while she's eating she had sweet potatoes and boiled eggs and she enjoyed sharing my apple :D were so pleased she is looking brighter and thanks for your support libby22 :D

You are more than welcome. Just so glad she is feeling better and you are getting a bit of a break from the worry.

When all is good with them, they are the best pets ever, when they are ill - the stress levels go through the roof! Easier when you know you have a good vet in the background that won't charge a fortune too :lol:

You are more than welcome. Just so glad she is feeling better and you are getting a bit of a break from the worry.

When all is good with them, they are the best pets ever, when they are ill - the stress levels go through the roof! Easier when you know you have a good vet in the background that won't charge a fortune too :lol:

So true :lol: had to laugh today as had such a bad couple of weeks my parrot moko saw daisy in the spare room and said what's that! I said it's your sister a chicken all day she has been shouting chiiiicken!!! Bless her she wants to go and see her but keeping them a way just incase :lol: