Eggasperated

Dogs and arthritis

My Lab has had a little bit of trouble with stiff joints for over a year now, we initially put him on green mussel tablets on the advice of the vet. This made some improvement but I decide to switch to joint aid to see if that was any better - he seemed to be ok on it but now, with the advent of the cold and damp, he is having a lot more problems. He is fine out walking and playing but after a couple of hours in his bed really struggles to get his back legs going - quite a sad sight :( .

I am now trying him on Dorwest herb tablets - a combination of Garlic & Fenugreek with the Mixed Vegetable, on the recommendation of a local pet store. Has anyone else any experience of these? I hope I am not being gullible to their sales pitch as I really hope to see a difference :anxious: .

I would stick with the Green lipped mussel product or use something containing Glucosmaine and Chonroitin (with added Devils Claw if possible). For these products you are usually advised to give a high 'loading' dose for 6 weeks. You can then drop down to a maintenance dose. I wouldn't expect much from the Dorwest product that you were given, they would have been better off giving you the Dorwest Glucosamine & Chondroitin Tablets :think: If your dog is struggling you should really go to the vet for some prescription medication to reduce the inflammation. You can use the other things alongside them. Once the inflammation has reduced so will the pain. You may then be able to maintain your dog on the non prescription supplements. You may however need to keep him on prescription meds :D Also make sure he is kept nice and lean - not good to be carrying extra weight when they are sore :wink:

Sorry don't have any experience of those tablets but have had two labs with arthritic back legs,first guy responded really well to metacam but 2 nd dog has dodgy tummy and can't take a lot of medicines I have him on painkillers and a magnetic collar.I know it's hard to measure effects of such treatment but since wearing collar he has needed half his normal amount of tablets and seems comfortable.Poor labs are so prone to this aren't they?I love labs but I don't know whether I would get another as its so hard to watch them when the hips get stiff.

Thanks Chucky Mama and Grandmas you've reminded me I have got some Metacam in the cupboard the vet prescribed to give if he did have a particularly bad episode - I will start him on that.

That's strange about the Dorwest Glucosamine as the leaflet implies that is best for joint protection but the others are better for actual arthritis.

I do have the magnetic collar but I don't know how much relief that is giving him.

We have got his weight under control but he is a big built dog (show dog shape) which probably doesn't help.

Magnacare looks not dissimilar to the jointaid I have been giving him, I shall have to look at the details as it appears to be much cheaper. My sister, a former nurse, has suggested this product. Now I'm getting really confused by the choice.

I was also looking at getting an orthopedic memory foam mattress for his bed - but once again a bewildering choice.

There are literally 100s of these Glucosmaine Chondroitin products and all will do a very similar job. I would stick with what you have and get the inflammation down with some prescription medication. A good bed is a good idea - any one with good padding is fine. It is then just down to monitoring and weight control. A trip to the vets is a good idea for professional advise.

We had a lab that had arthiritis, we took him to the vet who initially prescribed Metacam but that upset his stomach so the vet prescribed Prednoeucoptropin tablets for him. He was on these for a good eighteen months before he got too bad. We would get a prescription from the vet and get the medication online which worked out a lot cheaper.

I have a dog who was thrown from a car, and at the age of only 4 had such bad arthritis that earlier this year I was literally carrying him from room to room. Metacam and other prescription pain killers as well as Devil's Claw tablets was making no difference at all. Since June however he has been having acupuncture (Western method for pain relief) and it has made such a huge difference that now he is going on normal length walks and is happily playing with other dogs :dance: It was expensive to start with (£50 per week) and I had to really cut back on other expenses, but we have gradually extended the time between treatments as suggested by the vet who is treating him, and now we are doing it every 6 weeks. This means it is not that much more expensive than Metacam :think: and a whole lot more effective :D I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see him chipper. His whole temperament has changed too and now he is such a happy chappy. My OH who was a complete sceptic is now a complete convert :shock:

I'm sorry to read about your dog.

It reminded me that Daisy had arthritis when she was with us and had metacam for a while but then she had a blood test that showed her kidneys weren't working properly so they gave her something else - sorry can't remember the name of them.

I hope your dog gets some relief and a new bed sounds like the perfect Christmas present.

Thank you for all your advice - we have now come across another problem - getting in and out of the estate car. Raisin refuses to get on the back seats and always wants to be at the back but I'm concerned the jump in and out is too much for his legs. He IS leaping in and out but I think that's in his enthusiasm to go in the car as it always means a special treat out (he even considers going to the vet a real treat :lol: ), so are there any special car steps or something I can get?

As far as I can see the main problem is they have to go in the car with us and would take up lots of space, at home it is easy as I can use a big wooden box but it's not very portable.