clucker1

Cockapoos

We got one last January and she is the most adorable and good natured dog we have ever had. They are a wonderful breed who are easily trained but do like to keep you on your toes! Can't help with breeders as we live in the NE but the general advice is to try and meet Mum and Dad and see the conditions they've been living in and I always feel instinct helps you pick a pup. We knew that Mum was small and so is Tilly but we weren't bothered by that but she's probably too small if we were to show her (which we have no intention to do so). Having a dog is such a wonderful experience, they are great company and walks are a way of meeting other like minded people.

Please keep us posted with what you decide to do and if you want cute puppy pics I'm happy to provide some!

My son has one - in Australia - so that's not much help with breeders. But one thing to be aware of, is that some have more "cocker" and some have more "poo" ( if you see what I mean). Millie has a predominance of "poo" so is very dainty with poodle paws and build. In fact,the main cocker influence is in the ears. Having had 2 full blown cockers, I would say that Millie has more poodle behaviour traits.

I have to agree with DM that's its an expensive way to buy a mongrel and, personally, I'm not sure the high price is justified by anything more than fashion. But very nice dogs.

There are always a few in the rescues, why not offer a home to a dog in need? I think people see them as lap dogs or pets when they are a mix of two working breeds, and clever ones at that, so they need A LOT of exercise and mental stimulation to keep them happy; as with any dog, boredom breeds destructive behaviour.

Looks for a breed/mix of breeds that suits your lifestyle.

Thank you all. Yep, they are HUGELY expensive. OH is asthmatic and one of my visitors at work was walking one the other day and I asked her what type of dog it was and she said cockapoo and then said it was the first pet she had ever owned (she was mid 50s) as she is a very bad asthma sufferer. So a green light began to shine very brightly that at long last we might be able to have a dog. Since then and a week off work! I have done quite a bit of homework, and a friend has one whose child is allergic to dogs, but no problems with their cockapoo, I have had 2 terriers before, very strong willfull souls!!! and I wouldn't deem them suitable for family life....so hence the character bit of the cockapoo I find to be good. Any more tips most welcome. :D

My mum and dad have one who is four now and absolutely lovely, I walk with them in the forest every day and we found her very easy to train in terms of leaving the wildlife/ponies alone and she is very biddable and sociable, I think they make lovely family pets. My parents are older and once she has had her walk she is very gentle and calm indoors. Her coat grows really fast so she has to be groomed every six weeks.

The only reservation I would have is regarding the allergies, as the coat can be very different in each dog its not guaranteed that the coat will be suitable.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I'd reinforce that advice about allergies. One of the reasons my son got one is that he has asthma, but he still has some reaction to Millie so they have to keep her coat clipped short all the time.

I think in most cases, the allergic response is triggered by the dander, not the coat. I remember reading somewhere that many of the cockapoo rescues are from people being disappointed by the allergic response. You will need to choose carefully.

Yes, my homework has deemed we need an F1 dog ie a cocker x a poodle. I understand nothing is guaranteed either, one thing the person I met said is if her dog plays with other dogs, she gets her OH to groom them off before entering the house. Patrica W...do you know where your parents bought their dog from? Think I might be in for a long trip if I can't find a good breeder in the south east.