Chickabee

My guide dog puppy - Becket

This is Becket, my guide dog puppy. Would just like to let everyone know what a lovely rewarding job I have. Becket will be 1 on 13 December. He goes to big school at the beginning of February, so he will no longer be my dog. I've had him since he was 7 weeks, he is calm, gentle and clever :)th_image_zps2ea05aac.jpgth_image_zpsbd2f2aa3.jpgth_image_zpsf57b5e48.jpgth_image_zpse12f3588.jpg

He is named after St Thomas a Becket, and no we don't choose the names :lol:

Oh Sonya what a sweetie.What a great job you do,I don't know how you can let them go.I foster children and have a baby going for adoption in New Year whom we have had since she was 3 weeks and she is 14 months We love her to bits but I think I would find it harder to give up a doggie!!!I meet a chap at vets with Alsation guide dog puppy and he was telling me the dog was very much a one man dog and was bonded to him and I often thought how he would transfer to his new owner.Will you get a new one when he moves on?

I'd love to keep you updated. No cramming for Christmas, he's going on holiday (as we are). A very nice lady called jan is a puppy boarder for guide dogs. She adores Becket :D

BTW Grandmashazzie you are doing the most wonderful job. I was thinking about fostering before I looked into puppy walking. Decided that would be too much heartache for me :)

What a truly fabulous job you are doing :clap: Only yesterday I marveled at how a German Shepherd Guide dog helped his owner on to a train, find a seat and then off the train again. All unaided. The bond between owner and dog was immense ~ I dont think he ever stopped stroking him all the time we were on the train. I usually find GSD's scary but this one seemed wise and so kind. A real tribute to Guide Dogs and his early puppy walker. Totally love the Guide Dogs organisation. Well done again Axx

A day of mixed emotions I imagine - pleased that Becket is moving on with his journey/career, but you must feel devastated!?

I'm very pleased to see that he'd packed his belongings nicely - he needs his PJs and pyjamas at school!!!!

I bet you missed him last night.

Good luck Becket!

I just saw this - I puppywalked a guide dog, she was called Patsy and she 'graduated' in 2007. Sadly we never heard much more about her but she was a gorgeous character who loved working men in hi-viz!

I've only done one puppy, partly because we fell in love with her and missed her and partly because it is a massive responsibility.

I have thought of puppy walking again in the future for police dogs or for Hounds for Heroes.

It is very rewarding and I'm proud that we did it.

It is a lovely job. Becket has been in training a month now. He's doing really well. I've had a few phone calls from kennels. He will be going into harness next week. I'm sure he'll be fine with it. He takes everything in his stride.

My new pup Storm is just georgeous and we are enjoying him very much :D