SuburbanChick

Aaargh - can a Cube owner help please?

Well I've been buying things ready to set up a cube in the spring but I've hit a glitch :(

There really only is one part of our garden where the cube could sit and it's next to a fence on one side so ..... how much space do I need to be able to open and close the door? Would I be able to reach from the back of the cube, squeeze in a bit by the side and operate the mechanism? I'm not exactly size 10 :lol: and I reckon there would only be 18 -20 inches of space if I'm lucky.

Any info on this problem gratefully accepted :)

Depending which side faces the wall you need about a foot for the door opener, or a bit less to open the egg port and remove the door. It is useful to be able to look in the egg port though - although you could lift the top and take the back off to collect the eggs if you really need to.

The run skirt will make the cube stick out a bit anyway.

I haven't got a cube, but would really like one. Looking at your pictures has made me think about selling my Go and getting a cube :D

Go for it; I had a Classic (still have) and really love the Cube... OK, so the styling is a bit odd, but you get used to it and it is soooo much easier to clean as the whole thing is hip height. 8)

Hi Luvachicken.I have WIR like yours.I like your little extension to side with cube.Do you lift roof off.or crawl in to clean ground?

Grandmashazzie I have to crawl in :lol: but I usually crawl in armed with children's tools - they are the perfect size for raking and sweeping inside, and sometimes a little kneeling mat for my poor knees.

I haven't got a cube, but would really like one. Looking at your pictures has made me think about selling my Go and getting a cube :D

Go for it; I had a Classic (still have) and really love the Cube... OK, so the styling is a bit odd, but you get used to it and it is soooo much easier to clean as the whole thing is hip height. 8)

Totally agree with Dogmother about the height. I had my Cube before the GO and it is so much easier to sort out :D

Luvachicken.....if my eyes don't decieve me ...you actually have a purple Classic like mine!?!? :wink:

Hee hee, I definitely have a lilac Cube and a purple GO :lol:

I think the way it shows up on different pc's makes colours look odd.

I was certain someone else had a lilac Cube but theirs was purple :lol:

Think I need to see how difficult it is to pull the door handle open now before I make a decision. I think I have just enough space for the handle to open if it doesn't need too much strength!!

It doesn't need much at all, it's just a slide/twist action, there's no spring or anything.

Oh thank you Jimnpaula - that's just what I needed to know :)

The door pull is directly attached to the sliding door, then you rotate it and it disengages so you can slide the handle back in and it doesn't stick out the side when the door is closed. Reverse the process to open.

(Hope that makes sense, I volunteered at a homeless shelter overnight last night so am a bit tired today)