munkee1965

Warm swollen belly.

My 2 year old Partridge Leghorn hasn't laid for about 12 months and up until yesterday appeared to be fine apart from looking abit tatty due to her moulting.

When I put them to bed last night she seemed abit miserable but this morning there's definately something wrong. She went straight to the water and drank quite abit and then went and sat in the corner of the run all hunched up. I've just come home from work and gone to check for eggs etc. Her bottom seems to be hanging very low and she is walking abit like a penguin. I've had a look at her and her belly is very warm and swollen. Please help any advice greatly appreciated. x

It sounds very much like peritonitis :( Not at all uncommon unfortunately. It's up to you how you wish to proceed - you can take her to the vet if you want, who should be able to drain the fluid off and give her some relief. However it will eventually come back, I am afraid. Your other option is to PTS/cull her. It will be very uncomfortable and miserable to live with the peritonitis, so leaving her as she is is not an option. How long she will have relief by having the fluid drained off is like asking how long is a piece of string, but it might be worth having it done once by the vet to try and give her a bit longer.

It sounds very much like peritonitis :( Not at all uncommon unfortunately. It's up to you how you wish to proceed - you can take her to the vet if you want, who should be able to drain the fluid off and give her some relief. However it will eventually come back, I am afraid. Your other option is to PTS/cull her. It will be very uncomfortable and miserable to live with the peritonitis, so leaving her as she is is not an option. How long she will have relief by having the fluid drained off is like asking how long is a piece of string, but it might be worth having it done once by the vet to try and give her a bit longer.

Yep I agree all birds are different you know if shes miserable my lovely super chicken Henrietta had this problem and after having her drained once the vet said she may need to be pts she lived another 15 happy months before suddenly going down hill one weekend and i had to cull her goodluck leanne :)

I've lost 3 girls from peritonitis and this sounds like it to me too :( Mind you I think my last girl to die from it (Maude the Bluebelle) had lived with it for quite a while, then I got her implanted a couple of times which bought her an extra 12 months. She was a different chook though with the implants so although its an option, I do question whether they enjoy their borrowed time.

I hope she gets better, but a trip to the vets is definitely the right thing to do. Good luck :pray: