BuryFCA1

Is it really necessary

to urinate around the garden to deter foxes? We have had our girls for 2 years now and I regularly store urine up and sprinkle it around the plot where the girls are. We have now noticed the fence panels where the urine goes is starting to rot. Thankfully we have never seen or heard or seen signs of a fox but I dont want to run the risk now of not putting urine down and a fox getting in. However, we dont want to destroy our fence panels. What do other people do to try and deter foxes?

We used to do exactly the same thing BuryFCA1. Bucket of 'matured' urine spread around the base of a wall every week. It seemed to work for a while, but any rain or snow and the fox completely ignored it and came round at night. So I doubted it could be relied upon. Eventually along came a fox who ignored it totally and we lost 5 lovely birds in 3 separate strikes in broad daylight so then all the birds were penned permanently, which they hated. There is no substitute for a good strong tall fence (which we have now), preferably with an electrified line or two outside to deter digging.

A secure run, whether Omlet or another, is the only solution. Things like urine, human hair, Foxwatch and so on are only deterrents and they may or may not work - if your run is secure then you don't need to worry.

I'd have thought that most urban foxes are so used to human smells that it wouldn't bother them.