WitchHazel

Crash on M62-lorry shed its load of live chickens.

Well we lost another on Friday night, but the good news is all the others are starting to look a little bit more perky.

None of them will stand/walk apart from 2 who balance on one leg for a bit, but they are making progress and my sister, who is a vet nurse, is going to take them to work to get them all checked over again, but we think they may just be very sore and bruised and just not used to using their legs.

A couple have tried making dust baths and having a sunbathe and all are trying to preen themselves, which just breaks my heart –after all these little creatures have been through, they are still trying to take care of themselves.

3 out of 4 of them had a couple of worms yesterday and today and they are all starting to make ‘chickeny’ noises which is just lovely to hear.

The bad news is we are getting nothing done as just sitting watching them…!!!! :D

I am most sad to see how the animals are being treated after the crash than the crash itself.

I have no words, deeply upset.

Janey - you're such a star! Sorry to hear of the ones that sadly didn't make it but I do hope you and your sister can watch the hens grow strong over time :)

x

Might try some maggots actually…..they just need to learn how to be chickens again and I think its starting to come.

We have had ex batts before and when we collected those we cried at the state they were in, but they looked like show chickens compared to these…….I honestly can’t believe the state these animals have been allowed to get into, although I know we have know we have got some of the really poorly ones, its just unreal.

My Mums cottage garden is just looking beautiful at the moment and I really hope these lovely little girls are going to be able to enjoy it soon!

I've only just read all this and cerainly can't bring myself to look at the chicken snuff video. I'm not exactly shocked because I know how little feeling many people show to birds and animals destined for slaughter (cows forced into the abatoir on broken legs and pigs used for psycho games as well as many not getting water or air) and I can't help but think of the scene with the hose pipe in Schindler's List, but I am heartened to see that through all these things there are those who care and show real humanity. Well done Janey4 :angel: and bless your little charges.

How are your Mum's girlies going on Janey4? Have they trashed the garden yet?

There was a short piece on the BBC local news last night, saying that more hens are still being found :shock: . The lovely people from Dogs4Rescue are doing regular patrols and it showed them finding eggs from survivors still on the loose. They don't know what the free-rangers are living on, but they're definitely living, bless them.

Ha ha no, that was Facebook. She's probably wondering when she's getting her own account!

I'm amazed what resilient little things they are. That picture was taken only a few hours after we bought them home from the farm. They’d just realised what happens now they have room to flap their wings :D

Aside from the chooks that were rescued, I also like the bit in this story that says that some of the crash victims are living wild. I bet they think all their Christmas’s have come at once!