WitchHazel

Crash on M62-lorry shed its load of live chickens.

Heard about this on the radio driving to work at 6.00am this morning, when they said they'd got all the chickens. Really? I shared Princess Leia's scepticism! It's not that I don't care about the people involved, but my first thought was to hope the chooks were ok.

Second thought was to hope that at least some of them made a break for freedom :dance:

If anyone finds any that need a home ...

No mention of deaths on the radio this morning and I had to leave the office for a while when I read about them at lunchtime :cry:

Still hoping some of them make it out to a retirement of spoiled luxury :pray: . If I lived nearer there, I'd probably be out looking for any chickens of fate wanting a (cube green) to live in.

After the misery of so many deaths yesterday, a happier update.

According to the local news, more than 200 Chicken Run chooks made a break for it up the hill - to an animal sanctuary :D !

The people there were fantastic, rounded them up, took them in and, best news of all, found them all new homes. Their latest post says

"ALL CHICKENS REHOMED!!! Sorry for the lack of communication, fighting against the clock - last chicken just brought up from motorway side 9pm. Thank goodness its light evenings! Thank you everyone we will update and share pics as soon as we can XXXXX"

It's sad so many of them didn't make it, but happy news that over 200 hennie lives have been saved and they have already found their retirement homes.

Some of them at least did get to go on their holidays :dance:

We collected 6 of the lucky ones tonight......

One is going to have to have part of one of her wings amputated and she and anther don't look too good at all, but fingers crossed all of them can enjoy their freedom in my Mums lovely garden!

Mums coop and pen were not being used and we have spent the evening frantically trying to get it all organised but the girls are all staying in a box inside tonight after a reasonable feed and hopefully they will be a bit brighter tomorrow. :)

We collected 6 of the lucky ones tonight......

One is going to have to have part of one of her wings amputated and she and anther don't look too good at all, but fingers crossed all of them can enjoy their freedom in my Mums lovely garden!

Mums coop and pen were not being used and we have spent the evening frantically trying to get it all organised but the girls are all staying in a box inside tonight after a reasonable feed and hopefully they will be a bit brighter tomorrow. :)

Well done for giving them a fighting chance. Oh bless them. Let us all know how they get on please xx

The sanctuary Dogs4Rescue have posted an account of the day on their facebook page, but please be warned it makes very difficult reading for anyone that loves chooks :cry: . Heartfelt thanks to them and all their helpers for saving so many lives in such horrific circumstances.

Sounds like your Mum's lucky little ones have truly got the retirement home they deserve Janey4 :D . Here's hoping they get over their horrible past and get to enjoy a long time of spoiled bliss :pray: .

Well the poorly girl with the damaged wing didn’t make it :( , but the others have all made it through the night and I have spoken to my sister and they all seemed to have a good breakfast this morning.

Unfortunately all but one of the hens can’t seem to stand properly, but hopefully it’s because they have been cramped in cages for so long/had a horrific time and there is no permanent damage and once they get stronger we will be able to see an improvement.

Our old coop is being painted as I type and the run repaired and once the sun has come out a bit more, they are going outside for a bit for a bit of vitamin D, but they will be coming in at night until they are stronger and have recovered a bit more.

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow of them and keep you all updated! :)

I watched the video too. Couldn't bring myself to look at the other link.

Poor little chooks.

As for those men, I'd like to say to them that just because something is dead or injured, doesn't mean they don't need care.

Is that how they would treat children if it had been a coach crash ? Just toss them here or there by their broken limbs and hope they don't mind - no, I don't think so :evil:

Here's to a long and happy life for those that escaped though.

I can't bring myself to watch the video I read the dogs for rescue account out loud to DH in bed this morning in tears I had to keep stopping to get myself together to keep reading it was just so cruel and harrowing that some of those poor girls were captured and still went off to slaughter after going through all they had :cry:

I have emailed Mel from LHR as I know she is nursing three from the crash :cry:

I got my last two batties from her and I have offered to take them in if needed they make the most wonderful cuddly little girls it's Ex batts for me all they way now :D