mullethunter

Help - cat not eating

Our 12 year old cat seems to have almost entirely stopped eating. He's probably eaten only a pouch of food and a small amount of chicken in the last 4 days. He seems more or less himself otherwise so we're hoping it's just the hot weather - has anyone else got cats that aren't eating much?

A cat not eating is often not very good. The digestive system of a house cat is quite sensitive to that sort of thing.

Is your cat still drinking? In normal amounts? Drinking lots of water often indicates kidney problems and can be very serious.

You could try a bit more boiled chicken or white fish. Easy to digest and often enticing the most picky eaters.

If he's mostly out, you don't really know what he is finding elsewhere... :lol: I have an overly friendly neighbour cat who is set on eating every bit of cat food I own...

Don't think you need to worry too much, if he just ate. But keep an eye on drinking, especially with this hot weather.

Doesn't hold true for all cats though... Mine is a extremely picky eater (if you can call it a cat that is...). She only eats two types of kibble from Royal Canin and doesn't understand "real food". I could leave a steak on the floor and she would walk away... :roll:

Wahaha, poor thing!

Do you feed him mainly kibble or also wet food? Wet food is really bad for their teeth, but some cats are just more prone to get tooth problems. Both Hills and Royal Canin do a special kibble to prevent teeth problems and are great. Their kibble is slightly bigger, so cats have to chew them better. If your cat has his teeth cleaned it's the perfect time to start on that kind of dry food.

The answer to this is the reason his teeth are so bad in the first place. He won't eat dry food at all - only wet food. The vet told us to give him raw meat as that should help clean his teeth, but that makes him an absolute nightmare whenever we're in the kitchen because he thinks he should ALWAYS have meat! At his age I'm not sure it's worth the battle trying to get him on kibble.

It's hard to get it right, I've been advised NOT to feed my older cat dry food because of the kidney problems that older cats are prone to, and to feed wet food instead. Once he's had his teeth done he will probably be tucking in again, hope it all goes well.

Aaww! How's the patient this morning?

When Cleo had several teeth out, she sat on my knee when she came home, drooling slightly with that hurt/accusing look - "you said you loved me and you let them do this!". She was very sleepy the next day and then was her usual cuddly self again :D . They do seem to heal very quickly.

Both my cats have had dental work in the last couple of years, and both of them declined to read the leaflet which said 'keep them quiet and feed them scrambled egg'. Out of the basket (carefully placed in the darkened spare bedroom for peace and quiet), down the stairs and face first into the cat-food bowl! I hope he's soon feeling more like his old self.

Good thing everything went well. He'll be sore for a few days, but hopefully also able to eat more easily.

My cat only eats two types kibble and absolutely nothing else. No chicken, no beef, no fish...

But Royal Canin does a type of special food for fussy cats. Exigent it's called. Gets even the most fussy eaters to try dry food.