MaryHen

The girls are home

Got my first girls home and they are now happy in the cube (cube green)

I decide to do the sensible thing and have 3 chickens - I've got a DaisyBelle called Grizelda, a Bluebelle called Doris and an Amber Lee which right now I just going to call Amber.

They were very quiet on the way home but had poo'd a lot in the box - guess because they were abit scared.

I held all 3 and cleaned them up a bit before putting them in the cube.

I have the front door of the cube open at the moment to let some air in; they haven't ventured out put keep poking there heads out for a look.

Hope they will venture out tomorrow!!

I feel like a mum with some new babies; won't sleep tonight worrying about them!!!

Thank you everyone, I'm looking out of my open French doors at the cube and can't believe they are actually mine - big swell of pride (apologies for gushing!!)

Well the little monkeys - Doris and Grizelda managed to squeeze through the tiny gap in the door we had left for ventilatin and came out into the run. I think they were hungry as they ate lots of pellets. Of course they wouldn't go back so Hubbie had to get in the run and put them in the cube!!

The other girl, Amber, seems quite timid; nearly came out but then decided to roost.

Will post some photos when I have figured out how to!

A very happy Maryhen!!!

I did get up at the crack of dawn to let the out and they were fine.

Today has been a bit trying - we set up an area outside for them to 'free range' in. I think they were a bit spooked buy it and we put them back in the run. Do you think we are OK this early to start letting them roam a little?

We've also developed a 'pecker' in the last hour. Grizelda is pecking the other 2 to the point where Doris runs away from her. I know it's them sorting out the pecking order but it's a bit upsetting. I want them all to get on well!!

I think it's a little early to let then free range yet , I know it is tempting but maybe let them find their feet first and gain a little confidence first.

Feather pecking is perfectly natural, they are just establishing an order and although unpleasant too see, it has to be done:(

I would only worry if they actually make each other bleed. Just make sure the lower ranking hens have access to food/water and somewhere like a perch to escape the bully x

PS don't dispare maryhen....we all have moments if panic and terror inter spaced with sheer joy!!

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep them in the run for a few more days.

Amber is quite funny she loves eating flies and when my husband picked up Griz the pecker for a cuddle and a chat she rose up and fluffed her feathers in attack mode protecting her leader like a good foot soldier!!

I put a courgette in the run today for a treat and they weren't bothered at all - meal worms are a different story though!! Being a good mum and not giving them many though!